Looking to build a PC

msdstc

So I posted here to make a PC a few months ago. I changed my mind as a few things came up that changed my budget plans. I find myself in a situation where I once again have extra money and am ready to get a computer.

What I'm looking to do is

-audio/video editing
-general browsing
-500-800$ budget.

I've looked into stores like Best Buy but everybody tells me it's not a good idea, so I was hoping you guys could help me put one together in that range.

So I have Windows 7 already, but what else will I need? Obviously a disc drive so I'll add that on, and a case? What kind of cooling will I need for this if any? Also this looks like I'd actually have some room to add some Ram or up the processor. How fast will this computer run?

You probably missed my edit(s).
You won't need any extra cooling.

Looks awesome thanks a lot! This is super cheap, and the x6 is pretty beast for what I'm looking to do. Will 4 GB of ram definitely be enough for Video/audio editing? Also the link to the RAM is dead I believe (not to be a pain sorry).

Finally how much would a rig of the same type with the I5 vs. the X6 cost?

edit- I've changed my mind entirely about the gaming. I was in the market for a new computer, but I've never been much of a PC gamer anyways... I had extra money and when I get something new, I usually like to go big, I figured I'd go huge, but changed my mind decided to save the money.

edit edit- also what kind of case should I look into? I've never actually built a PC. I've repaired many and have a good understanding of how everything works, just never built one from scratch.

edit edit edit- two more adjustments, I need firewire, I see some really cheaps ones (as low as 6 dollars?) is that right? Once again I'm a noob at buying all these parts, so I really do appreciate all the cooperation. lso would it be worth it for the slight price increase to go, 2 maybe even 4 gigs more of Ram?

URL is fixed.
BTW you don't mention gaming, though I see in your last thread that people suggested some hefty graphics cards.
About the RAM, I can't say for sure, someone else will have to help you.

i5 would cost a little bit more, though they did bump up the 1055T to about $30 more than the last time I saw it :( ($180).
The i5-750 costs nearly the same, but the platform will be more expensive.
The cheapest H55 motherboards are going to cost about $80, and will NOT support USB 3.0, nor SATA 6gb/s. If you're interested in those features (don't ask how useful they are/will be, I really don't know), you'll be looking at $120 for an ASUS P7P55 LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard.
Not only that, but for either of those motherboards, you'll need to buy a graphics card of some sort.
Everything else about the i5 build can be the same.

EDIT (This is what happens if I don't take the time to think through a post):
With the AMD build, you can just add in a new graphics card whenever. The only thing is that if you're planning on that, you'll want to get a stronger powersupply so you won't have to replace it later. Just a nice option.

edit edit- also what kind of case should I look into? I've never actually built a PC. I've repaired many and have a good understanding of how everything works, just never built one from scratch.
It honestly won't make a big difference; this isn't a monster gaming build so you won't need to worry about cooling. Note that some cases have external FireWire ports, but they aren't always reliable IMO. Mine doesn't work anyway.
You probably just want to look for aesthetics, also you'll most likely want a mid-tower, which should be about the same size as a regular store bought computer (though most are a little bigger). I have an antec 300 and it's a decent case for me.

I don't have any experience with firewire (aside from the aforementioned case thing), but I'm pretty sure you'll just get a PCI add-in card.
Again, I have no experience, but newegg has tons that look fine, even the cheap $3 seems like it would work, though if someone more knowledgeable has something to say...

Now about RAM, in my uneducated opinion, I don't think audio/video editing will need more than 4GB. The H55 board I linked to only has two RAM slots though.

It's all sounding pretty great. So does this definitely save money over buying from Best Buy? Looks almost too good to be true.

:)
Self built computers are a huge jump from standard store bought ones.
I've shopped at best buy and they're prices are not always excellent, but I know for sure that Best Buy does not have very powerful computers for a good price.
But hey, wait for some other people to post on it if you want.

It's all sounding pretty great. So does this definitely save money over buying from Best Buy? Looks almost too good to be true.

To add to what HK said:
OEM machines almost always have very low quality PSU's as well as other compunents. they are designed to be 'competitive', and get them out the door cheap. If you have the patience to put your own together, you will get a much better quality and tailor made to your needs building one of the machines HK listed for you.

IMO they also focus on inflating whatever specs the average joe can understand, which usually is not always the important things.
And yes, they use the cheapest parts possible whenever they can.

IMO they also focus on inflating whatever specs the average joe can understand, which usually is not always the important things.
And yes, they use the cheapest parts possible whenever they can.

yes like putting 12GB of 'cheap at the time' Ram in a $600 machine that will never get close to using 4GB.

whats wrong with RAM like this vs. the one you posted?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231311

Absolutely nothing, that is great ram as well.

Nothing wrong, it's just a bit slower than the OCZ reapers, and the timings are a bit slower too.
It's fine to use.
BTW make sure you have Windows 7 64.
Also, relating to what we said above, RAM tends to be one of the things that manufactures tend to capitalize on, 4GB of RAM will be plenty for the vast majority. Not saying that there is no point in buying 8GB of RAM, I really don't know about video editing, though I think it really doesn't need that much.

One more thing, newegg has really dumb reviews, or rather, really uninformed reviewers.
There should be an IM function...

Which one would you go with then? The 8GB a little slower vs. 4GB a little faster? Seriously I don't really know if I'll even need any of this for what I'm going to be doing, I just have OCD about it.

Which one would you go with then? The 8GB a little slower vs. 4GB a little faster? Seriously I don't really know if I'll even need any of this for what I'm going to be doing, I just have OCD about it.

The same ram at 4GB and 8GB quantities is nothing you will realize a performance/speed difference in. If you were going for heavy duty overclocking/benchmarks, then the use of 4Gb is preferred (just less timings that have to come together/play nice thing)

4GB will most likely work fine for what you are doing, however if you plan to do alot of heavy rendering, CAD, high resolution gaming, or the like, then 8GB can be a good investment....and its rather inexpensive right now.

Alright I'm about to order everything, I just want to make sure I'm not in over my head here. How difficult will it be to install the CPU itself? Once I order everypart, how exactly do I screw everything into the case? I'm not too woried about aesthetics, I also don't want it to be butchered either :)

edit- also is there really any difference from case to case besides looks? I'm looking to get in all likelihood the cheapest one possible.

Alright I'm about to order everything, I just want to make sure I'm not in over my head here. How difficult will it be to install the CPU itself? Once I order everypart, how exactly do I screw everything into the case? I'm not too woried about aesthetics, I also don't want it to be butchered either :)
It is not difficult at all. just take your time and double check everything three times. There are many folks that will help here, and online pictoral/walkthrough guides on putting a pc together.

two important things:
1)Remember the thermal compound before installing the CPU heatsink
2) Order an anti-static wrist strap, or, frequently touch a metallic, non critical portion of the case prior to handling components. ( It discharges any static charge)

As far as cases go, unless you are going to heavily OC, or live where ambient temps are exceedingly high, its largely a preference thing (looks, enough expandable bays, etc) Build quality is a 'you get what you pay for'. if you want to get by cheaply, Antec is a good case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

It is not difficult at all. just take your time and double check everything three times. There are many folks that will help here, and online pictoral/walkthrough guides on putting a pc together.

two important things:
1)Remember the thermal compound before installing the CPU heatsink
2) Order an anti-static wrist strap, or, frequently touch a metallic, non critical portion of the case prior to handling components. ( It discharges any static charge)

As far as cases go, unless you are going to heavily OC, or live where ambient temps are exceedingly high, its largely a preference thing (looks, enough expandable bays, etc) Build quality is a 'you get what you pay for'. if you want to get by cheaply, Antec is a good case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

Sounds about right, I know my way around a computer, I'm just a bit nervous about making sure this all goes right. What kind of thermal compound should I buy? And how easy/hard would that be to screw up?

The processor will come with a cooler, and it should (right red?) come with thermal compound already applied on it. Mind you, not the best stuff, but it'll do fine.
The only thing you'll need is a screwdriver.
Also, don't work directly on carpet, leave the motherboard and sensitive equipment on the anti-static bags that they come with.
Also, don't put the motherboard directly into the case, make sure you use the mounting things.
EDIT: BTW, that is a HUGE bottle, despite the looks, it will last you forever and you still won't have used more than half.

I like this stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=thermal_compound-_-35-100-008-_-Product

There are many tutorials on applying thermal compound, not difficult at all...although many people try to make it difficult :)

Alright thanks so much for all the help! One final thing, there are a ton of cases price around 20-30 dollars? Will that fit my motherboard? I just really am not worried about the appearance of the thing, so is it alright if I go cheaper than that antec?

Yeah they're probably fine, the (wait which motherboard) motherboard should be ATX, look for ATX compatibility. Or link us up and we can check if you're unsure.

The processor will come with a cooler, and it should (right red?) come with thermal compound already applied on it. Mind you, not the best stuff, but it'll do fine.
The only thing you'll need is a screwdriver.
Also, don't work directly on carpet, leave the motherboard and sensitive equipment on the anti-static bags that they come with.
Also, don't put the motherboard directly into the case, make sure you use the mounting things.
EDIT: BTW, that is a HUGE bottle, despite the looks, it will last you forever and you still won't have used more than half.

oops, get the one above it, the 9.95 affair. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=thermal_compound-_-35-100-007-_-Product
Yes it will come with pre-applied 'thermal pad' , however its terrible. scrape it off , clean it up with rubbing alcohol, and apply the AS-5.
Rubber soled shoes on carpet in winter is not a good combo! :p this is a great $8.00 investment if its your first time building.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...nti_static_wrist_strap-_-99-888-207-_-Product

Yeah they're probably fine, the (wait which motherboard) motherboard should be ATX, look for ATX compatibility. Or link us up and we can check if you're unsure.

Second that, just remember a $ 30 case will most likely be flimsy./ if your ok with that great. otherwise an extra $20 will get you a decent quality case like the Antec 300 I linked too.

I've built two computers, and I haven't used any sort of anti-static; did everything on carpet too, albeit carefully.
Also, I personally wouldn't bother with thermal compound, but whatever your choice.

Second that, just remember a $ 30 case will most likely be flimsy./ if your ok with that great. otherwise an extra $20 will get you a decent quality case like the Antec 300 I linked too.
I linked to it above too if you didn't know...but that's just two blind votes toward the same thing. Antec 300 is indeed a quality case.

Back