Looking to buy a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Baltan

Hi guys

I am looking at buying a laptop but don't really know which one to go for. I have between £600 - £700 to spend on a laptop.

What do you guys recommend for that amount of money, i would like to stay away from hp and acer if possible thanks for the help.

-Baltan

You don't want to buy a fujitsu siemens!!

And i recommend that u get a better "table pc"...

What do u want to do with the laptop...what programs do u want to run etz...??

i can't really tell about "which one" but i'll offer some advice on things to consider in making your choice. First, see this thread

and to reinforce what;s in there, i think the fundamental question is: Why a laptop? and not to be misunderstood, i love 'em, always use 'em. But be sure to understand the trade-offs and i you have a limited budget understand it costs more to get similar power/functionaltiy as would to get a desktop equivalent. If you're on a limited budget the question is what works for you: If giving up some speed, for example, is worth the $$ differential.

Ask yourself just how important Support is for you (hardware and/or software)
- You can call some tech support groups and take forever before you ever get through
- And. there's the issue of quality of person other end. Some places put you in call center 1/2 way around the world with "tech's" who pretty much only know just what their computer tells them to ask.
- Finally, if hardware DOES break, what are the arrangements to get it fixed? package it up and mail? Go to a service departmetn? On site?

Last, i'd only point out if you are trying to compare two different systems the ONLY way to really try and compare price (i found) was the more painful process of taking out a spreadsheet, breaking the machines down component by component to list them side-by-side to TRUELY understand how everything compares

I need the laptop to surf the net and to also do all my word work and other work on so basically a portable office, that i will also use to surf the net.

I also am currently building a gaming comp but i also need a laptop for the other things that i have specified.

-Baltan

As i need the laptop for when i go away, on top of that i will not always be using the main computer.

-Baltan

Just off the top of my head, you might look into the HP DV7 1170US, its 1220$ shipped from newegg.com. The specs are nice, my only complaint is the CPU (800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache). But 4GB of RAM, 2.0GHz Dual Core, 17" LCD, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back