Looking to Buy a new Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with the lack of a functioning monitor, and no USB mouse capabilities, I'm going to attempt to get a new laptop sooner rather than later.

(Any links will lead to system requirements)

Basically what I'm looking for is a laptop that can handle the newer games coming out. I;m not talking "ZOMG CRYSIS OPTIMAL REQS" but being able to play generally newer games at a good framerate, namely Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, Civilization 4, or even Crysis with at least minimum requirements (I understand if this is a longshot, or even not capable with my price-range) and a few others (listed below) and hopefully StarCraft 2 whenever it comes out, without having to overhaul the computer at all. While price is not a terrible issue, I would prefer to keep it under $1300. I will almost definitely use my own mouse, and I have no need for a Blu-Ray burner, or anything fancy like that.

As a side note, is there a site or a thread where I could find a Complete *****'s Guide to Ubuntu? Might be a nice change for a new computer :haha:

Games I would hope to play:
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts - Recommended System Requirements
* Windows XP or Windows Vista
* 3.0GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent
* 1.0 GB RAM
* 9.0 GB of uncompressed free hard disk space
* 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or better
* DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Civilization 4 - Minimum System Requirements
* Operating System: Windows 2000/XP
* Processor: 1.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor or equivalent
* Memory: 256 MB RAM (Windows 2000) / 512 MB RAM (Windows XP)
* Hard Disk Space: 1.7 GB Free
* Video: DirectX 9.0c-compatible 64 MB video card with Hardware T&L support (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
* DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c (included) or higher

World in Conflict - Recommended System Requirements
System: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
Memory: 1GB RAM
Video Memory: 256 MB
Hard Drive Space: 8 GB

Crysis - Minimum System Requirements
System: Intel P4 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 2800+ / Intel Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 1GB
Hard Drive Space: 6GB
Video: NVIDIA 6800 GT 256 MB / ATI X800 Pro 256 MB or better

Well, you're right about the price range. Most basic laptops don't bother with much by way of graphics, so you'd probably have to get something like a dell xps or an alienware or something. I haven't really researched companies or prices or anything, but with laptops you can't simply change the video card, so making the right decision before you buy is critical.
A nice list of mobile graphics card benchmarks
As far as ubuntu goes, if you're going to be playing games, I'd stick with windows. I tried wine and playonlinux, and wine works for basic things. But I just had too many problems with full screen graphic intensive programs. Most games wouldn't even start. But the compiz-xgl desktop cube is awesome. I really do like ubuntu, it's just not really worth it if you already have windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back