Looking to purchase mobile gaming/work laptop

I am getting ready to move into a pretty big house after living in an apartment for the past 7 months while the house was being built. I have a really nice rig right now but am going to be looking into something that is going to be moble and can move through the house.

I am going to be leaving my desktop up and running and on a ups and its going to be located right next to my entertainment center and start to serve as a HTPC, File Server, and video capture for my xbox360 play. I have an enterprise license of RealVNC so I will be able to remotely connect to it when ever I need to.

I am looking for a decent laptop that will allow me to still do some light gaming, mainly sc2 at high to ultra setting. But still maintain a light weight design for work when traveling. I have had a desktop replacement laptop before and this is not what I am looking for.

I have been looking at the MSI GE620DX-278US. Please let me know what you think and any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks
~jkbucksot

Blantantly ripped-off from two sources with modifications but it does the job: :D

1) What is your budget?

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like:
b. Dislike:

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

5) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

6) What other games will you be playing besides SC2?

7) How many hours of battery life do you need?

8) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

9) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level.

10) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

11) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

12) When are you buying this laptop?

13) How long do you want this laptop to last?

14) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

15) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

1) What is your budget? Around 1200

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: Asus, MSI
b. Dislike: Alienware

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Light gaming, vpn into work, video editing

5) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Yes

6) What other games will you be playing besides SC2?

Nothing really

7) How many hours of battery life do you need?

4 would be good

8) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Yes buying online would be fine as long as I know the hardware

9) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level.

Nothing less than 1920x1080

10) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

No preference

11) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not really, don't want anything over the top

12) When are you buying this laptop?

When I find the right one

13) How long do you want this laptop to last?

1 1/2 year

14) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

Yes ssd

15) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Yes optical DVD burner, no blueray

Thanks

jkbucksot

https://www.techspot.com/guides/buying-laptop/page5.html

Techspots recommendations from a few months back, although the gaming machines are 17" so less portable than you would like.
Was looking at MSI laptops for gaming purposes myself and thought they were really nice. But since it was bought by my work I had to be more conservative with the specs and ended up with an Acer Aspire 5942G (i5 520M, Mobility 5650 1GB). Plays SC2 fine at 1366x768. Guess for video editing you really will want 1920x1080/1200 and an i7.

Yeah, has to be atleast 1920x1080 and have the i7 cpu since i will be editing some video that will be captured by my desktop

With an SSD, an i7 quad core, and a 1920x1080 screen it will be difficult staying within your $1200 budget.

I can configure a Lenovo T Series 520 within $1227 with a i7 2630, Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs of RAM, a 1920x1080 screen, Nvidia 4200 Optimus video, and a 320 gig 72000 rpm hard drive.

Back