Looking to replace noisy case fan

1. I have a computer case and it has this pretty blue lite fan in the front but the down side is as of recently it makes a lot of noise. A ton on boot up and then it calms to about half the noise but none the less still loud. I'm looking to buy a replacement, hopefully one that is silent, problem is that I don't know the first thing about PC case fans, how to replace them, how to tell which is a good replacement. I also don't know what kind of case I have so I can't look it up and just figure out the fan size that way.

Help would be appreciated.
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,846   +61

Fans are really a 'you get what you pay for ' proposition. The key is in the bearing type. sleeve,rifle,ball FDB (fluid dynamic bearing) HDB, etc. generally if you wnt quiet, choose one that is not a 'hyper fan' in that it moves a massive amount of air, or one that comes with a controller so you can adjust the speed a 120 mm fan for example will typically move arounfd 45-60 CFM. For longer life stay away from 'sleeve' bearings.
  3. ComputerGod91

ComputerGod91 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 74

Um... You lost me. So is there a way to replace the fan with a quieter one that isn't as loud but doesn't move less air? Or am I stuck with the one I have?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.