Looking to see if a certain driver exists (first time with Linux)

foreverzero89

Decided to dig in and mess around with linux since my unix class has gotten the bug stirred up in me again. I found an old laptop(acer aspire 5003 wlmi) but the monitor was broken so I took it off and am VGA'd into my acer h213h.

so I loaded fedora 17(thats the distro we are using in my class) and got it all up to date but there is no 16:9 ratio screen resolution(I don't care about getting it all the way up to 1920 by 1080) just want to be able to work with straining my eyes.

SO my question is this: are there drivers for the video card: sis m760gx (or the monitor) that will allow a 16:9 ratio?

thanks for any help with my first delving into linux!

Hmm, IMO, not likely. Linux is not a media platform and fedora is a nice client/server base - -
I would expect standard 4:3 at a good resolution would be the best you could do.

Hope im not coming across as a know-t-it-all douche but I know the card and do the 16:9(or at least a widescreen reso) under windows xp. but thank you for your response and I may have to go with another distro to make use of the wide...

Your view is just as valid as mine :) we differ in our expectations.

SO my question is this: are there drivers for the video card: sis m760gx (or the monitor) that will allow a 16:9 ratio?
There isn't any drivers for sis video cards, because they don't provide Linux drivers or provide help to open source drivers.
Hope im not coming across as a know-t-it-all douche but I know the card and do the 16:9(or at least a widescreen reso) under windows xp. but thank you for your response and I may have to go with another distro to make use of the wide...
I doubt that changing distro will solve your problem, because all of them are using same drivers (probably slightly patched). However I would give Sabayon Linux or Linux Mint a go, because they usually come with a lot of (proprietary and open source) drivers preinstalled whereas Fedora Linux comes with open source drivers.

Well now im dual booting with fedora and ubuntu. and with ubuntu, I get all the way to 1920x1080!I guess the other guy was right, with it being only for servers and such, you don't need a high SR.

Hi, This year I tried a few distros and found much the same.
My monitor is a new 2012 Acer 19" with native res of 1440 x 900 (ish).
With Fedora 17 , It would not see it as 1440 pixels wide, so although I could use it, the main problem was seeing the 'min/max' icons top right of screen, icons not in the right place to click on, but too many graphics 'issues' to keep using it .
So I tried Mint 11, and the Acer screen drivers were installed automatically, and screen res is correct now.
Using a Geforce 8400s with DVI out to DVI in on the Acer, screen image is fine.

Back