Looking to transition into Win7

BlackScarlet

Hey, I have XP installed on my computer, and new games are coming out that aren't XP compatible -- I'd like to install 2 OS on 1 drive, is this possible? My C drive is 233G and my XP system is only taking up 23G of it, can I partition the drive, install 7 on the other partition and modify the boot.ini to boot into either XP or 7 on the same drive?

Windows XP SP3

AMD Radeon HD 6850 - 1024MB

MotherBoard:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K SE Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0401 07/19/2007
Realtek Onboard Audio

3328 Megabytes DDR2 RAM

Processor:
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Hey, I have XP installed on my computer, and new games are coming out that aren't XP compatible -- I'd like to install 2 OS on 1 drive, is this possible? My C drive is 233G and my XP system is only taking up 23G of it, can I partition the drive, install 7 on the other partition and modify the boot.ini to boot into either XP or 7 on the same drive?
Short answer is no, you will need to use the new boot manager that comes with Windows 7.

Windows XP uses the Boot.ini for multiboot. Windows XP boot manager wouldn't know how to boot Windows 7. Windows Vista and Windows 7 uses a new boot manager know as the Vista Bootloader.

You can shrink your Windows XP partition down and create a new partition for Windows 7. Windows XP doesn't allow shrinking drive but third party apps such as MiniTool Partition Wizard will. When you install Windows 7 to the new partition, Windows XP will be added to the Vista Bootloader Menu. If by some chance Windows XP was not added, EasyBCD can be used to edit Vista Bootloader settings.

Back