Looking to upgrade an HP OEM PC

TS geniuses,

I'm currently running this HP PC - Specs page - [I'm not allowed to link to this, but promise, I'm not a spambot. Well, I used to be, but daddy said it was wrong and I promised I wouldn't] - h10025[dot]www1.hp[dot]com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=49287&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3752236 (Remember to change the [dot]s to periods!)

I'd like to add a better graphics card, but realise that that will mean a PSU upgrade as well. What would you guys recommend? I'm not sure exactly what can fit in the case or what can even run at all - I'm a total ***** when it comes to hardware. Any other upgrades you'd recommend? DDR3 RAM perhaps? The Core2Quad is doing fine, but the 9500GS does struggle on High settings on newer games, even though I only play at 1360 x 768.

I'm currently looking at the 5770 as a replacement for the 9500GS, suitable choice?

Or does the OEM case and parts mean that I have no choice and would need to go down the custom route?

Thanks!

I couldn't get your link yo work but, assuming you have a pcie slot, the 5770 will be a massive graphic update. I would recommend a Antec or Corsair 450w PSU (check to make sure it will fit in your case. If its a slimline or mini it will not. as far as the "upgrade to DDR3, you cannot do that on a DDR2 motherboard. They both have 240 pins, but are not interchangeable as the DDR type is set by the memory controller.

Apologies, here is the correct link - h10025[dot]www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3752236&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us [changed in the first post as well]

The motherboard information page states that - Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards* - so I assume the 5770 would work?

I believe the case is a relatively small one. How would I go about checking whether the PSU mentioned would fit?

Thank you so much!

I second Red1776 advice.
Be sure your memory is maxed out... and all quality memory... Your memory will work at the performance level of the module that performs least well.
With HP, you have to be very careful of sizes of power supplies... You should shop very carefully for a power supply that can exhaust hot air out the ports that are available... and that it fit with a little room to spare. Look at a site like www.directron.com which has a large number of power supply choices, showing the location of power switches and air exhaust matches what HP allows. Some HP's do not have the exhaust at the correction location for the power supply that is for sale. Be aware that a high quality power supply is more important than one rated at a high power rating. A good 400 watt PS is better than a lousy brand of 700 watts. The marketing of power supplies is very tricky. Get a good one, but one that fits and doesn't add heat to the case. You might even want to add a case fan to move air out, and they are very low cost.
You might want to look at some of the old posts here on TechSpot for power supplies, and when you narrow down your power supply list, post your choices here for other opinions.

Back