Loophole enables anyone to get a Windows 8 license for free

Jos

Copies of Windows 8 Pro are freely available from Microsoft’s website for anyone who wants to try out the operating system. Normally, the software would expire after 180 days, a period that is meant to allow Volume Licensing customers to automate and manage the activation process. But a loophole in the company’s Key Management System allows anyone to legitimately activate their copy of Windows 8 permanently, for free.

The goof centers around the Windows Media Center upgrade that’s being for free offered by Microsoft themselves until January 31 next year. Specifically, when entering the add-on key, Microsoft’s Key Management System will let you fully activate your copy of Windows 8 without running a validity check for the product key of the underlying system the Media Center add-on is being installed on.

microsoft windows

To get a free Media Center key all users need to do is request it from Microsoft’s website using any email address. Once the code is in your inbox, do a search for “Add features to Windows 8” under Settings, click on it and enter the product key. Media Center will download and install, and after your system comes back from a reboot, you’ll be able to use the same upgrade product key to activate Windows.

With this your copy of Windows 8 will become fully active and 'legitimate', which you can verify in the activation window where it should read “Windows is activated” instead of “Windows is activated until…”.

The method has been confirmed to work by several news outlets. I tried it as well but upon requesting a Media Center key the site responded it will be emailed to me “within 24 hours” -- I can’t tell if the wait period is standard or if Microsoft is moving to patch the flaw by implementing a check for the underlying system.

Permalink to story.

Wouldn't if have been better if you PMed this article to your active users, and left it off the front page?
I don't think so especially considering several other news forums are posting this. I do not see this as TS advocating the loophole - it's simply informative. Do with it as you wish. I personally bought 3 licenses on Win 8 already and it was really worth the money.

I tried it as well but upon requesting a Media Center key the site responded it will be emailed to me ?within 24 hours? -- I can?t tell if the wait period is standard or if Microsoft is moving to patch the flaw by implementing a check for the underlying system.

I did the upgrade with my windows pro copy a couple weeks back and it took two days to get my key. This is the normal wait period.

@Capt. That would be very unprofessional of Techspot, they'd definitely loose me as a reader. I wouldn't consider that a service.

Sorry I got distracted by the previous comment. If they plug the loophole tomorrow, surely you won't be able to re-install the OS at any point later in the future.

Microsoft needs to remove the activation key for desktop users and provide the operating system for free. Focus on selling windows approved hardware, servers and tablets.

Why would you want a copy of Windows 8 would be my question ;)
Yeah, I've got it, for 15 bucks, just because I could, installed in a VM, but
I don't see anything it does, or can do, that win7 does. Unless you have a touch
screen device, I don't see the benefit. Maybe later, but right now, win7 serves my
purpose.

I don't see anything it does, or can do, that win7 does. Unless you have a touch
screen device, I don't see the benefit. Maybe later, but right now, win7 serves my
purpose.

OMG commas. Anyways, people need to stop asking this question, Why would you want Windows 8? This iteration of the operating system is useful in a lot of ways, and doesn't have any of the terrible problems Vista did. It's lighter weight and brings a lot of new functionality via user accounts and Server 2012 is awesome. You can get a start menu back if you want, it works great on touch-enabled devices, and now I can have native apps on my HTPC for Netflix and other media software that makes it easy to use for people who aren't fond of navigating in the browser from the couch. It has lots of value; if you can't see it, express why.

I mostly like Windows 8, but I can still complain about how it's support with AMD Eyefinity / Nvidia Surround sucks with the "interface previously known as Metro". I also can't figure out an easy way to import email messages from a previous program into the start screen app, nor does the music app support FLAC. The full desktop media player can take advantage of additional codecs, but apparently any start screen app has to have them included for cross platform portability.

@Capt. That would be very unprofessional of Techspot, they'd definitely loose me as a reader. I wouldn't consider that a service.
All literal interpretation and no sense of humor makes Chazz a dull boy... You can sing that to the tune of, "all work and no play". Maestro........

I don't think so especially considering several other news forums are posting this. I do not see this as TS advocating the loophole - it's simply informative. Do with it as you wish. I personally bought 3 licenses on Win 8 already and it was really worth the money.
Trust me, that was a joke. I'd actually opt for a copy of Ubuntu if I needed a free OS.

Even if its free. I still don't want it.
Nail on the head, hit you did.....(Who talks like that? No really, I can't remember....:D).

DEIT: Yoda, of course. (Nor for that matter, spell on the first try, "edit", can I not").

purpose.

OMG commas. Anyways, people need to stop asking this question, Why would you want Windows 8? This iteration of the operating system is useful in a lot of ways, and doesn't have any of the terrible problems Vista did. It's lighter weight and brings a lot of new functionality via user accounts and Server 2012 is awesome. You can get a start menu back if you want, it works great on touch-enabled devices, and now I can have native apps on my HTPC for Netflix and other media software that makes it easy to use for people who aren't fond of navigating in the browser from the couch. It has lots of value; if you can't see it, express why.

Dude you have seriously absolutely no idea what you are talking about........

ASLR and exploit mitigations

Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) was introduced in Windows Vista and is essentially a technique to mitigate the infamous “Buffer Overrun” vulnerabilities by randomly moving the location of code and data in memory. In Windows 8 randomization is increased in order to foil known techniques for bypassing ASLR. Other mitigations include changes to the Windows kernel and heap, including new integrity checks and randomization using a similar approach to ASLR. Internet Explorer 10 will also benefit from these changes: besides including an “Enhanced Protected Mode” sandbox, there will be a “ForceASLR” option in IE10 that can randomize all modules loaded into memory by the browser, regardless if those modules did not opt in to use ASLR protection (developers can create modules that take advantage of ASLR protection by using the optional /DYNAMICBASE flag).

2 weeks ago I requested 30 of the keys for Pro WMC upgrade. Installed it on as many friends computer as possible. The people that did not like the metro style and liked the desktop of windows 7, I installed a classic shell. It is free. it gives you your start menu again in your lower left corner. Then just write a small task on login to go to desktop and skip start at metro. So far the only bad thing I have found is it does not have all the drivers yet for older devices. There is always work around tho. It seems to support PC's as old as 6 years old with no problems. My cheap 16gb tablet with atom processor runs the windows 8 pro wmc 64bit great with 6 gb left over. Built in Skype, and apps to download for free makes it a great for people who don't know much about pc's. Just go to the store and shop. I installed it on tri boot mac book and it works great there too. If your loving windows 7, this can be just as good and better if you want more. My PC went from 45 sec boot to 14 sec boot with Windows 8 pro WMC

Sorry, but this sounds like a stunt. What better way to distribute a flawed operating system than to concoct a phony story of the possibility of getting it for free. Even if people don't buy Windows 8 in the end, I'm sure Microsoft will announce to high heaven about it's downloads to give the impression that it's popular. I don't care to have it for free, even if this isn't a stunt. I've tried Windows 8 on a friend's computer for about an hour before he returned it for a Windows 7 PC. Won't make the mistake of buying it like he did!

This works. I did this about a month ago when it was found on MDL (mydigitallife). If you want the latest mods/workarounds check them out for anything MS puts out.

So, far, it took me about 15 minutes to get used to Win8. I finally have a use for the Windows Key other than keyboard shortcuts!

Dude you have seriously absolutely no idea what you are talking about........

pmkrefeld, this is exactly what I'm talking about. You say something like this but you don't say why. You've illustrated my argument for me. There is a lot that is good about this OS, and I understand that a lot of people don't like it, but most people just carry on with this sentiment without expressing why.

I believe this is a tactic by MS to get people to use Win 8
So say, you snag a free sopy of Win 8, and you're chugging along with it, and the next thing you know, it fails WGA, and M$ wants you to cut them a check for the "free copy". Something like that?

Stunt if I ever saw one. Poor sells, come up with a story to get it for free and the rest will follow!

I believe this is a tactic by MS to get people to use Win 8

Well ofcourse with sales down and them wanting to move foward with things that already have planned out it makes sense! They still are coming out with the surface pro and software probably will make more money off the office 2013 than win 8 if they don't act lol... I am sure they also wish to make money off their app store! I setup a laptop for my mother with win 8! Have you seen the prices of some of the things in the store? I am starting to like unbutu better than windows altho win7 is still #1 in my book. I probably won't buy windows 8 for myself until they can make a gaming laptop with a 17" touch screen and atleast the best i7! I have been waiting forever hopefully 2013 will be more promising!!

Okay, I can assure this is a marketing tactic because of the poor sales figures of Windows 8. I have been preaching against upgrading to Windows 8 ever since I first found out the UI was primarily a tablet interface. But I immediately clicked the link and requested my free key. It's something about "free" that most people can't resist I guess.

I actually believe that the only way Windows 8 can succeed at this point is by giving it away for free. Other than nerds who can't resist the lure of new technology most people have not be convincing that upgrading to a new OS that boots 3 nanoseconds faster than the previous operating system is worth enduring the catastrophic interface that one must use the "other" 99.9% of the time that people aren't "booting". I am one which falls into that category.

I can't stand Windows 8 yet I just requested my "free" key. My defense be temporary insanity. I still don't feel like bothering with a brand-new operating system upgrade at this point. Even if it is better under the hood(that part I wont dispute) Windows 7 is good enough. So why put myself through the pain. My gut still tells me just to kick back for years, wait for Windows 9. Microsoft will hopefully give "everybody" what they want next time around and not just tablet users.

Okay, I can assure this is a marketing tactic because of the poor sales figures of Windows 8. I have been preaching against upgrading to Windows 8 ever since I first found out the UI was primarily a tablet interface. But I immediately clicked the link and requested my free key. It's something about "free" that most people can't resist I guess.

I actually believe that the only way Windows 8 can succeed at this point is by giving it away for free. Other than nerds who can't resist the lure of new technology most people have not be convincing that upgrading to a new OS that boots 3 nanoseconds faster than the previous operating system is worth enduring the catastrophic interface that one must use the "other" 99.9% of the time that people aren't "booting". I am one which falls into that category.

I can't stand Windows 8 yet I just requested my "free" key. My defense be temporary insanity. I still don't feel like bothering with a brand-new operating system upgrade at this point. Even if it is better under the hood(that part I wont dispute) Windows 7 is good enough. So why put myself through the pain. My gut still tells me just to kick back for years, wait for Windows 9. Microsoft will hopefully give "everybody" what they want next time around and not just tablet users.

This loophole has been available for a month; from the sound of it, before the retail release of Windows 8. Reconcile that with your marketing tactic theory.

Back