Losing Internet access frequently

By darknate
Jun 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I get my internet through GVEC which is the electric company in my area. I live out in the country so this is the best I can get. It seems like every hour I lose internet access and I have to reset the router and or disable my NIC and re-enable it. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, I'll lose connection. I normally thought it was either the ISP or the router, but it still broadcasts wireless internet even while my computer doesn't have internet access which has RJ-45 connection to it. I replaced my NIC thinking it was that, but it still happens. I even have updated drivers. Can anyone shed some light on this or know what's going on to help me solve this issue?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,689   +153

Have you talked to your GVEC electric company about this?
  3. ITLogicSystems

ITLogicSystems TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 106

With Internet through electrical wiring, my experience is: the router/modem MUST be plugged into the outlet directly, no power strip, etc. if this fixes the issue, great! if not then, I would make a log, write down what time of day you get disconnected/dropped via both wifi & wired. Then call the ISP & give them the info. Post back b/c I'm curious on this one. Hope this helps, take care!
  4. darknate

darknate Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 49

Well, it's not through electrical wiring. I have a satellite on the side of my house and receiving a signal from their tower. They aimed it to where no trees would interfere so that's not the issue. It must of been a problem for other people because it doesn't do it anymore. Thanks for the help everyone!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.