Loss of access to CD, floppy and USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suddenly my daughter's machine will not allow either the floppy or CD drive to be used. In XP Pro "My Computer" shows the drives with a red circle and line through it. On trying to open either one it comes back with an error telling me that the administrator (me) has prohibited use of thee devices. If we put a USB stick in the icon comes up with the same symbol. This sounds like some sort of virus or registry problem. I cannot use system restore or find any way to remove this block - any ideas please ?

Thanks KImsland

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck I'm sorry to say. The machine insists that the "administrator" has effectively blocked access to both the floppy and CD and any USB when connected. This smells of some sort of external interference perhaps via a dodgy e-mail or download although we do have AVG installed.

Do you have system restore enabled if so have you tried going back to a previous restore point to see if that helps.

Thanks to both

System restore fails to complete task after reboot leaving system as it was. I am absorbing the content of the second document - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back