Loss of gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, im having this issue right now. After i reformatted my computer, due to known viruses my cuzzin got it, i went to check how much space the hard drive has and it only shows 9 gig capacity. Before i reformatted i went to the desktop to check out the problem and i checked the the hard drive to see how much space it has. it says the capacity was 200 gig. soo right now im really lost....i dunt know if i did anything wrong. what i did was put in the winxp cd and boot it. select to reinstall a fresh copy of win xp over the existing ones. it deletes all the old files the were on the comp. i choose format using ntfs without quick mode. soo any help wud be appreciated. thnxx

It could be that you had two partitions
A recovery partition (usually small ~ 2Gig)
And your previous OS partition

You could have installed Windows on the Recovery Partition

Just re-install again, but this time remove all partitions first (no need to format, and no need to create the new partition)

On a non Partitioned & non Formatted drive, Windows will automatically create a single NTFS partition, then install Windows.

ohh well do you think you can gib me a step by step instructions because i reinstall it like 3 times already and i dunt want to go to the same process over and over. thnx

When you reinstall windows, (delete any partitions that already exist) and then continue on. You will have to create 1 big partition after deleting the smaller ones. It is pretty much foolproof.

and stop your COUSIN from jacking with your computer.

ok, just remove the partition(s)
You will be able to read on screen when this step comes up (in Windows setup)
It's all there
And again, no need to create a new partition manually

ohh ok thnx for all your help. ill let oyu know how it goes when i go do it. thnx again. save me alot of time.

Download software called "Partition Manager". You can use it to show unmoutned HDD space ;-) and mount new hard drives, re-partition existing partitions, etc.

Kind regards,
Scott

im still kinda confused a bit. when im in the screen where it says if i want to delete the partition it still shows that i have only 9531 mb. i tried to creating a new one but it still shows that much mb. the maximum capacity was 200 gig before i reformatted it. i tried what you guys told me but its not helping. any clue?

im still kinda confused a bit. when im in the screen where it says if i want to delete the partition it still shows that i have only 9531 mb. i tried to creating a new one but it still shows that much mb. the maximum capacity was 200 gig before i reformatted it. i tried what you guys told me but its not helping. any clue?

Sorry, don't know what else to suggest. Probably try changing the IDE cable it's on and make sure the flags are correct (master/slave)... maybe try a motherboard update.... dunno what else to suggest.

Kind regards,
Scott

Yes but I do know, lots of suggestions.

1. Remove all partitions (there may be more than one)
2. Use Gparted live BootCD, to actually confirm you have 200Gig
3. Check bios to see if bios sees 200gig
4. Confirm you don't in fact have two physical HardDrives installed
5. Use another tool like Delpart to remove all partitions
6. Check the drive is jumpered for CS (Cable Select) and not limited

I can go on, but the above should really be all that is needed

If i may suggest something. istcz: if you're not sure about things you may find this easier for a first step

Start->Run, enter diskmgmt.msc

When it opens, you might want to maximize the window to make sure you're seeing everything.

Then, toward the bottom, look for Disk 0,
why don't you tell us what it says for Disk0, both the information it has directly under Disk0 and the info you see displayed to it's right about Healthy, Unallocated, or any other things you see it describes​

Also, do you see a Disk1 mentioned as well?

im for sure that it has only one partition because under my comp it only shows local drive c:. and i made sure to delete every other partition when formatting. i always ended up with 9 gig. Its not my comp actually. its my cousin. he had a virus on it awhile back and people were too lazy to reformatted. Then my cousin wanted to play WoW soo i decided to take it out to reformat it. Before i reformat it i went to desktop to check the specs. its shows that the hdd had 200 gig free space. Then i install a fresh copy of win xp on the same partition. i didnt delete it or anything just reinstall it over the partition. i dunt know if thats wrong but i heard you have to delete the partition before installing a fresh one.

The D: looks like your CD drive, I'm assuming the 489 is the Windows CD size or whatever. That should have nothing to do with the Hard Drive.

I'll give you screenshots of what I want you to look at, my machines using Windows Vista but it should be close enough.

Try going into Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management, you should see a window like this.

cpmgt1.JPG

Now Click "Disk Management" like in the screen below. Notice my "Disk 0" is split into two partitions. I'm hoping yours looks the same, because thats what should be going on.

cpmgt2.JPG

Windows will recognize the space no matter what, even if its formatted in a system which Windows does not understand. If its only showing that 9gb partition you have, there is a larger problem at hand likely involving sector failure on the Hard Disk or that the things just plain dead/dying.

istcz is this a proprietory manufacture computer like Hp or Dell or some other?
If so can you please provide the Make and Model number (as stamped on the case somewhere)
Also is this an old computer? or a modern one?

Also were you able to try any of the steps I mentioned in my last reply?

Another option is to provide a screen dump of what is showing in Disk Management (using "PrtScr" key on your keyboard then pasting to MS paint, then saving, then attaching to a new reply) But you do not need to do this, if you find it difficult to do

Yeah about the disk management, thats where i went to read whats under the partition. Theres only one, its not split into to. My computer is compaq deskpro en 1998-2000. Unfortunately i cannot paste a screeny because im on my laptop and the compaq doesnt have anything setup yet.

Kimsland, wwhat i did was deleted all the partition it have, which i only saw one. Then installed a fresh copy of win xp into the unpartition space. i didnt create a new one.

compaq deskpro en 1998-2000
Yes I had a feeling that this may be the case

That computer is very old now
And may have many unknown hardware issues
Not sure if we should continue trying to resolve the matter with such a low Bios revision
And I don't want to advise you how to update the Bios, because this area is critical, and may require someone with more technical ability

By the way if you go to HP support, and look up your exact model, they have many user guides on replacing parts and even installing Windows on a new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back