Loss of Wi-Fi about once a day

AbdulaOblongata

Hi,
I have a problem that happens about once per day where the wifi signal in my house stops working. When this happens it happens to all devices on the network(Mac, PC, and tablet). The wifi signal on these devices still shows that it has a signal however they are unable to connect to the internet. Sometimes on my mac I can us the Network Diagnostics tool and it will reconnect to the internet, however most of the time the router has to be reset. Sometimes the router has to be reset and the computer has to be restarted. I have tried to change the wireless channel thinking it might be interference causing the problem but it didn't help. It get to the point where the internet is almost unusable at times because of this. I've been talking to my ISP and they checked the signal to my modem but found no problem. I also don't have a problem with hardwired devices. Really not sure what the problem could be. My router is a Monoprice :product ID: 8070[COLOR=#] Wireless 802.11N Router w/ WPS & WISP Function (300Mbps).[/COLOR]

It looks like your router needs to be replaced.

Go to device manager, find Network adapter..You can try and scan Network Adapter or uninstalled it, then installed it again.

About how old is that router? Because the older it is, the more likely that it just failed. Hardware does wear out after a time.

See if you can access the router config using your browser and the router ip-address as the URL.

now look for the MTU on the WAN (isp) side - - set it to 1492 and this will stop fragmentation and thus also avoid buffering issues which can cause this problem.

Hey Abdula. Since you still have the wired connection when the wireless fails, the ISP, or a flaky connection between modem and router is not at fault. Sure looks like the router has an issue with it's wireless section since all wireless devices lose the connection. Wireless devices can still look like they are connected because the SSID is still being broadcast, but not the Internet signal. Do your wireless devices connect using the WPS mode, or do you use the WPA2 encryption mode?. In either case, if things worked for a number of months with either setting, but now you have these issues, I would reset the router and set it up again and/or see if there is a firmware update for it before trying a new one. I saw a similar issue with a Linksys 2 years ago where updating the firmware got it running again.

Back