Lost OS Loading - Black & White Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

domer7

I haven't read every post, but I went back 6 pages. My Windows XP won't load. After BIOS post I get B&W screen stating Windows did not start successfully. Options are Start Normally, Start in Safe Mode, Last Known Configuration and a couple of other Safe Mode options. Start Normally goes to Windows splash screen, times out and starts BIOS post again - an unending circle of failed boots. If I click any other option, I get a list of drivers, with the last one being:
multidisk rdisk partition/WINDOWS/System 32/Drivers/gagp30kx.sys

Booting with Windows CD and going to DOS I tried a dir command and a diskpart command, neither seeing the hard drive with the OS on it.
Another thing running Windows CD, I hit f6 to load Promise controller drivers and after loading hit Repair. Got a message at the bottom of the screen that said something to the effect scanning or analyzing hard disk and showed the HDD size, but then this process timed out and it went back into the ugly circular boot cycle.

Any help would be appreciated. It is a SATA drive, so I haven't gotten a lot of help with local computer repair shops.

Test your RAM. Test the hard drive using the diagnostics utility from the HD maker.

Testing

I did not test memory - but I did add a small HDD (IDE) to my computer, loaded a fresh copy of Windows XP Home and it runs OK - so I don't think it is memory.

I got SeaTools from Seagate and ran Quick Test. The utility recognizes the drive and runs the test, but seems balky and after the test, a red x is next to the Quick Test selection on the Progress Screen and the utility never goes back to the report page. I don't know if the red x means the test is complete as the progress bar shows 100% complete, or if that means there are problems. I did not run full test yet - maybe tonight.

I don't have a second monitor and keyboard/mouse set up so I am shuttling between my old computer (the slooooow one that has internet connection) and the new one that has problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back