Lost sound after reinstall of windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that there are lots of posts on this, but none have helped.

The computer says that everything is working fine, but there is no sound from either the headphone jack or the speakers.

Recently reinstalled windows xp.

Dell Dimension 4600

From the dell site I have reinstalled the drivers for chipset, bios, and audio. Nothing has worked. There are no conflicts that can be seen. Nothing is on mute.

there are 2 audio drivers that I installed:

SoundMax Integrated Audio
Creative Labs

I think that Soundmax is the main one, but neither of them is producing sound.

I have followed all directions from

the website computerhope issues ch000208.htm

with no luck.

See if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

Here its the info

Thank you in advance for your help

PCI Modem PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1080&SUBSYS_10001028&REV_04\4&1C660DD6&0&08F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

#2 in attachment

Attachments

• dxdiaginfo-DAN.txt
    40.1 KB · Views: 1
Well, i do see 2 sound drivers installed: Soundmax and Creative as you indicate. My guess is Soundmax is your onboard sound card and Creative as an add-on sound card. I wonder which one's sound jacks you're plugged into and which sound card is set as default.

I see Soundmax is your current default. Click Control Panel->Sounds then Audio tab and try changing the sound default as well as which jack input you're connected to

2 cards

When we look in the Control Panel it looks like Soundmax is the main sound card, and Creative Labs is for recording. Changing them does nothing.

Soundmax would be the driver for the sound chip that comes on the motherboard.

You must have also paid for an add-on expansion sound card for your Dell (i.e. from Creative) it should play sound as well as record.

On the one hand, I would first double check to see which sound jacks you're plugged into. As you might also try the other sound jacks as well as you try switch beween the default sound selection so you can try both. See if this helps you locate which are which

Note you can probably disable the onboard sound card (i.e. Soundmax) in your BIOS settings but not worth doing that till you at least get one or the other to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back