Lost Text In Web Page. Can I recover?

By ZILDJMAN67
Oct 26, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To my own stupidity I was writing a paper inside an active web page. I had saved the text to the clipboard, but inadvertently copied over it. Then in what amounts to even greater stupidity I hit the back button in IE and lost all the text in the previous window. My question is, if I have not closed IE since this happened, is there anyway to recover the text? Does it reside somewhere in memory, temp file, cookie etc? I have tried going back through IE history etc but when the same window appears the text is missing. I know it's a long shot but I have to try....
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

As far as I`m aware, you`ve lost it for good. :(

I know it`s a bit late now, but the Windows clipboard is very limited. I recommend you use the DzSoft Paste & Save, it can hold mulitple clipboard entries and won`t lose them.

I do a heck of a lot of copy and pasting and find the above programme very handy.

Regards Howard :)
  3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +35

You won't be able to do a search on your system because technically, it's not on your system,

When you say " I had saved the text to the clipboard,"- what does that mean> Normally when one Saves, it's when you choose where to 'Save In' and give the file a name. If you did that, then you should be able to recover the file.

As mentioned, the Windows clipboard only holds one copy, then overwrites. If you have Word> open Word> Edit> Office Clipboard> you will then see the copy icon in the Notification area. Each time you 'copy', a sheet of 'paper' passes over it. You scan copy up to 26 times on the Office clipboard, then paste into a document as you want.
  4. ZILDJMAN67

ZILDJMAN67 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the help! I knew what I wrote was lost but had to give it a try and check what the experts had to say... Although I did install that Dzsoft Paste and just wish I had known about it sooner, it's great!
  5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +35

The name of the game is 'back up, back up, back up. Even when you're writing a document you should do intermittent saves.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.