lost XP files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mez

Hi,
Hoping someone can help me with a problem I've encountered.. I had a Trojan on my laptop and managed to get rid of it with help from this formum. However, Whilst deleting files and removing old antivirus software, I think I may have deleted some files that are part of the XP OS software. The laptop is now Trojan free but I now have no Help and support available, I also have no search facility. I click on Help and support but nothing happens. I click on search and the box comes up with the helper dog displayed but absolutly no text is displayed.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for resolution??

Thanks
Mez

Mez said:
Hi,
Hoping someone can help me with a problem I've encountered.. I had a Trojan on my laptop and managed to get rid of it with help from this formum. However, Whilst deleting files and removing old antivirus software, I think I may have deleted some files that are part of the XP OS software. The laptop is now Trojan free but I now have no Help and support available, I also have no search facility. I click on Help and support but nothing happens. I click on search and the box comes up with the helper dog displayed but absolutly no text is displayed.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for resolution??

Thanks
Mez

Hi mez and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

Click Start > Run and type sfc/ scannow, you will need your XP disk, this will run the system file checker and replace any files automatically, it will take a while to complete.

Let us know how you go on...

Regards

Thanks for your response. However, I still have an issue as I do not have the XP installation disk. The OS came, already installed on the Laptop. I have run scannow as per your comments and it does scan. It doesn't seem to do anything else though.
I go into cmd, type sfc/scannow. A windows file protection box appears and it takes aprox 10 minutes to complete. Nothing at the end of this though. It completes and ends. I am still missing the required data. I tried to do a system restore but I am unable to access this also.
Hope you can assist me some more??

Thanks
Mez

Hi Again Mez,

I did a google and found this page, if that doesnt work I throw it open for someone else to have a crack at.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back