Lost XP Pro CD--and it won't boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettyboop911

My son is away at school and is SO bad at computers and software, and I am not much better.He recently updated XP Pro because he was prompted to do so. I think it was Service Pack 2 as he said it took 20 minutes to do on a broadband connection, which he had just installed. The system went berserk and got stuck on a blue screen. I got him to get into safe mode and he was installing the last best configuration (I can never remember the exact term) of XP. His roommate tripped over the outlet as he was half done, and now he's back to square one, but now he says he can't get to the part where the computer prompts him to go to the last best configuration. He does not have his original XP Pro disc. Any suggestions?

Boot the computer in "safe mode" and go to "start", "programs", "accesories", "system tools", "system restore".

(Not sure on the last title "system restore" but it is something like that. I am running Japanese XP ;) )

To get into safe mode on most computers it is "F8" then select safe mode, hit enter, hit enter at the os select screen, log into admin account and then it should prompt you "yes" to continue into safe mode or "No" to run system restore, so hit no to run system restore and select a date when computer was functioning fine..

Feel free to download the XP Pro CD from the internet. Since you have the license you are entitled to a copy. You can also take your XP certificate (if it's not a sticker on your computer) to a computer store and they will give you a brand new XP CD.

Unfortunately they are not available by legal means, as far as I know. But they are available on just about any P2P network.

If your XP was registered ,Microsoft will send you a disk for a small fee, but you Have to get them on the Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back