Loud Roaring Noise!! What Is It???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, do I have someones attention? I just would like to know what is causing this noise in my computer. I have an HP Pavilion and it is 5 yrs old. I think something is wearing out, but what?? It is hard to fix?? Please let me know so I can stop worrying..

Ok, I took the cover off, but still can't tell which fan...do I need a stethescope to see which fan is louder?.......LOL
How long will it run like this before disaster strikes?

How many fans do you have? There should be one on the CPU, one in the power supply, and that may be it.

If you are carefull, you can use your finger to slow down the fans one at a time by pressing in the middle of the fan while it's spinning. Even just lightly slowing it down will change the noise if that is, in fact, the loud fan.
If you don't feel comfortable touching the moving fan, then turn the PC off. Then hold or obstruct the fan so it can't spin, then turn the PC back on, briefly. If the noise goes away, there you go. Otherwise, turn the pc back off and try a different fan.

The power supply fan is a little harder to check, but you can obstruct it with a screw driver or something. You just have to be careful because the plastic fins can break easy.

Lastly, disaster can only strike if, do to lack of air flow, it starts overheating. But you should be able to find the bad fan pretty easy this way.

Seems like it is the fan that is the exhaust fan..the noise seems to be coming from there. I cant see any fan as everything looks like it is closed up inside. That seems to be where the noise is coming from. I'm thinking about taking it to work and let our puter guy look at it, cheapest method I know if to have it looked at...hopefully it will not be expensive to fix.

It won't be expensive if it's just a case fan. It can be more expensive if it is the power supply fan, as I know most repair shops in my area will just replace the whole power supply, rather then just the fan. And that costs more.

Are you sure this is not a CD/DVD drive going South ? ?
They tend to sound like a jet engine right before they take a dump...

patio. :cool:

I am guessing it is the Heat Synch. I have seen some computers come through my work lately with this same problem. These PC's are brand new and the Heat Synch is bad, it causes a roaring sound like a vacuum cleaner. The fans push enough air during this time to send stacks of paper flying that are a couple feet away. However... since your PC is 5 years old it might just be the fan.

hp pavillion

Have you tried contacting HP to see what they might say. I have a Pavillion that is about 9 years old and is running great. I do open my Computers and clean them out (the dust that builds up) that can cause your computers to wear down faster. Especally fans. I learned that the hard way. Changing the Power supply can be expensive if you don't shop around. Try lookin on the internet and you can get some really good deals. Also you will want to make sure that you get an adequate power supply make sure of the wattage before you purchase. The power supply box should state on it what the wattage if. If no you might need to ask someone at HP. Good luck.

Response to Heat Synch question, since I can feel the look. What is happening with the Sync's in my systems is that the gas in the actuall sync is un balanced or something like that, I can't remeber the exact term giving to me by the rep. This causes the heat sync to heat up and "tricks" the system into thinking the chip is to hot. Trick is the word given to me by the rep as I was ordering the new sync's. The fans kick on in overdrive trying to get the system to cooldown fast. The fans will run like this for days if you leave the system on. Prior to the Sync's we thought it may be the fan/motherboard/powersupply's that were coming from the manufacture bad, but eventually decided on the heat sync... and we were right. These systems are coming from a big name supplier. This insformation came from a rep of theirs. Stop looking at me like that.

Heat sinks are typically made of copper and or aluminum...i've never heard of one that has "gas" in it.

patio. :cool:

Is it a p111? i seem to remember in compaq deskpro's of that era they had a fan attached to the heat sync..when they get clogged it made horrilbe noise

The sodering on the heat sync's are bad, allowing the material inside to escape. I am guessing that this material is gas since there is no liquid in the cases when they are opened. These heat sync's are the ones that look like radiators. They have the dual tubes in them and yes. it is copper.

Ok, well lets clear up a language issue here. Is the proper term "heat sink" or "heat sync"? Cause I've never seen "synch" or "synchs" or "synches" used before. Or maybe it's one of those "color" versus "colour" things. I don't know.

So anyway. A "radiator" with "dual tubes" in them? That sound more like liquid cooling. Cause every heat sink I've ever seen is SOLID chunk of aluminum with perhaps some copper core or heat transfer pipes. But I've never a seen one that is hollow with gas in it.
Is there any way you could post a picture of it?
If the "connection" between the aluminum and copper is bad, then certainly heat transfer will not be good and it can get hotter. But I don't think there is anything more to it then that.

Find out what CPU socket you have, then go buy a new heatsink/fan for it. Shouldn't be that expensive. Assuming we're talking about your CPU fan going bad.

I believe it is a color vs. colour thing. Thanks for getting to the real meat of the issue, vigilante.

We are not talking about the cpu fan going bad.... Please read my post again, it is the sync that has gone bad in these pc's. I kind of feel like you're mocking me some and you act like I am making this up. I guess since my posts only number in the teens there's no way I could know anything about a computer :? Thanks. Back to trolling,

A+/N+/MCP/MCDA/MCSE/MCSE Security+/CCNA/CCNP/CCDA/c|eh

NO, your use of "sync" is throwing me off. And I'm not mocking you, only speaking from experience. I've NEVER seen a heatsink made of anything but a SOLID chunk of material. But certainly I've seen heatsinks that have copper parts as well (which is what I'm think when you talk about "solder"). And I've never seen a heatsink that used any type of "gases" in its construction. Does that mean they don't exist? How would any non-solid transfer heat? Besides liquid cooling, which is what I thought about when you spoke of "2 pipes", thinking liquid pipes? Guess not.

Anyways, so I did read the post again, you said "These PC's are brand new and the Heat Synch is bad, it causes a roaring sound like a vacuum cleaner".
Fair enough, but I've never seen a heatsink make noise. Fans, yes, CD-ROMs, yes, Hard drives yes, but a heatsink?
You said the fan blows faster when the temps go up, yes, makes sense. This can cause a louder sound.
But frankly I'm more curious of just what the heck kind of heatsink/fan came in these PCs you're talking about. No serious, no mocking, no funny business, I'd really like to know. What socket? What type of processor? What is liquid cooling (as per your "radiator" description)?

Oh, and I'm not impressed with cert *****s either. You need at least 500 posts before I'll consider you knowledgeable in the force :) :)

(I hope you know I'm kidding, good grief)

My appologies Vigilante,

-Optiplex 280's and 260's are the model of PC's we've had this problem with.
-The heat sync's not making the noise, it is coming from the fan's which is literally in overdrive. If you run Dell Diagnostics on the fan's and set it to make the fan go as fast as it can, the fan will actually slow down from the speed it's at while making the vacuum noise. It's funny seeing it.

Adding my experience on heat sinks and noise.

It is possible to bend the fins on the heat sink, or warp the fan, even if the fan is attached by some sort of clamping mechanism.

This deformation is not permanent.

I just replaced a fan that went bad, removed the fan (4 screws) put the new fan in place, put the screws back, connected the wires and started the system, it was very loud.

Just holding on to the fan and moving it around slightly made the noise go away, I loosened up the screws slightly, tightened them again and no more noise.

So heat sinks can contribute to the noise in a way and I am not saying this is the case here, then again it might be or it might have caused the fan to last not as long as it could have or the fan was just not a very well made fan to begin with. (Balance and all)

patio said:
Are you sure this is not a CD/DVD drive going South ? ?

Good call patio, most usually ignore the optical drives and they do get loud, but the noise is not constant all the time.

Use sewing machine or sharpening oil stating electrical motor or something like that and put it in the bearings. It will stop vibrations.

Playing with the screws is just damping it. It doesn't stop the wear.

I doubt it too. I don't think that a ball bearing fan can start to roar like this.

In my case, the oil makes some suttering sounds in some ball bearings, but it prevents wear at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back