Low budget build. What do you think? See any problems?

Arman

Hey guys this is my First (and probably last) custom pc build. i'm making it for personal use and gaming and i want it to last. basically what i have picked out thanks to a friend, Rage.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 6870
Sunbeam Transformer Full-Tower ATX Case
Antec TruePower New 650W PSU
ASUS Black SATA 24X Burner with E-Hammer Software LightScribe Support
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

For my HDD i want to use my Current Hard drive (im running Vista 32 bit) and i want to transfer it to this build which i will be installing Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Is that possible i want to keep all my files and avoid re installing ALL my games. :/

I will also be buying this to upgrade on HDD
Samsung SpinPoint F4 2TB HDD

You already have a thread on your computer build so why open this new one. The parts listed above will work together great. You can not upgrade a 32 bit windows to 64 bit, it just wont let you so you will have to do a fresh installment of Windows 7 64 bit. If you have your games on steam all you have to do is save the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps folder to another computer or HDD and restore it when your done with the new installment of Windows 7 64 bit. If your games are not on steam then yes you will have reinstall them.

looks good, the only suggestion i would make for a gaming machine is to grab another 4 GB ram kit. prices are very low right now.

You can upgrade from 32 bit Vista to 32 bit 7 without having to reinstall anything, but upgrading to 64 bit from any 32 bit OS will require reinstalllation of everything.

looks good, the only suggestion i would make for a gaming machine is to grab another 4 GB ram kit. prices are very low right now.

4Gb is pretty sufficient either way. Also, unless you upgrade to a 64-bit, anything above 4Gb can't be used.

Thanks guys now i know ill be getting these for sure :)

I just want to know what i should do to transfer my files. Just get an external hardrive and copy all my program files or what

If you have all your games/data/things you want to keep on a partition separate from the partition that your OS is on, you should be able to wipe the system partition and reinstall on it without touching the data partition. Although you may want to back up music/games/etc on an external hard drive and do an entire reformat instead.

Back