Low disk space

Darci

I have a dell mini with a very small hard drive. I have been getting a "low disk space" error, and would like to know which folders are safe to remove in order to free up space. I have been working on cleaning up the files that I know can be removed, but there are a lot of folders that I'm concerned about. Many of these folders are named with a combination of letters and numbers that mean nothing to me, but I suspect they are important - for instance, one is named 5a2272eba3a8b7b145456

The mini has a 7.1 GB hard drive with only 17.3 mb free

Any help would be appreciated.

If you are not sure about what is safe to remove, then (obviously) stick to removing software you know that you installed. Use 'CCleaner' as it is 'fail-safe', in my experience. If you have any Video files, MP3 collections, you-tube downloads, or similar, then move them off to an external drive, as they are using a good deal of your disk space. Also defrag the drive a couple of times, I would say try this program; http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/
If you download 'CCleaner', use it as it is, don't tick all the options down the left hand side, it is set up as most users need it.
Have used it for many years on many PC's, it works well and will get back disc space you need.

I agree with mike. CCleaner is a good and very awesome program. Been using it for years and I really love it. As for the 5a2272eba3a8b7b145456 folder you were talking about, I would just leave that there.

:grinthumb

First, for every user login (including the Admin),
start->run->cmd
start /low cleanmgr
this will toss the temp stuff from surffing and installing.

Second, using an admin account
  1. right-click on My Computer->Properties
  2. click the System Restore tab
  3. check [x] the Turn off System Restore and confirm that action
    this will delete all existing restore points and create much more free space
  4. when complete, reenable System Restore and
    reduce the Space to use to 3 or 4% and apply

that's debatable - - however, cleanmgr is already on every windows system :)

Back