Low memory warning

king21092

First off, let me just throw out the facts.

I'm running Win 7 x64 and absoluely love it.
I have 6GB of RAM.
I have Page File(Virtual memory) completely disabled.
I have an SSD, hence why it's disabled.
I keep getting a "low memory" warning every single time my computer gets to about ~70% physical memory usage. For those who would like the details, that is ~1.8GB of memory left over.

Is what I am looking to figure out is (A) how to change the threshold for the warning, like from 70 to 90 or 95%. Or if you can't change the threshold, than (B) how to completely disable the warning.

Notes: Do not tell me to turn my paging file on, I made the choice a while back, it's the smart thing to do. Also, try to avoid the "well, why don't you buy another 6GB of memory." If you want to pay the ~$200, than I'm all for getting another 6GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can lead me in the right direction.

~King

Common problem with a number of computers..

Have you posted it in a Google search... there are a lot of solutions online... differing by brand and model.

This may answer your question, although I'm interested in knowing why it happens:
From: http://forum.xcpus.com/software/13082-how-alter-threshold-low-memory-warning-2.html#post202992

I just took ownership of and deleted:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\WDI\DiagnosticModules\{5EE64AFB-398D-4edb-AF71-3B830219ABF7}]

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\WDI\DiagnosticModules\{45DE1EA9-10BC-4f96-9B21-4B6B83DBF476}]

and rebooted.

Seems to have worked and it makes sense. This should effectively disable Windows' resource exhaustion resolver from the built-in WMI diagnostics.

You can delete those keys from Start > Search for "regedit" and run as administrator and follow the paths. Make sure you delete ONLY those keys (the folders that have the big long string of letters/number) and not their parent key (DiagnosticModules), or you'll be in big trouble. :)

It's perfectly fine to run without a pagefile, but you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference either way in terms of performance. I personally have mine disabled so I understand how you feel though. ;-)

I'm curious, why should the page file be completely disabled if your using a SSD?

I run with a Crucial SSD, but mine is still running.

I'm curious, why should the page file be completely disabled if your using a SSD?

I run with a Crucial SSD, but mine is still running.

I manually disabled mine so I don't waste very valuable write-cycles on my SSD. By default the page-file is on and is used all the time, wasting write-cycles.

Note: I choose to disable my page-file so that my SSD will hopefully last that much longer. With 6GB+ of RAM there is really no need for page file unless you are truly running low. The highest I've ever seen my computer as far as resource usage is about 76-78%. I tend to get memory issues once it goes over 70%, most likely due to Windows being retarded and pausing applications that make you go over 70%.

Once again, thanks for all the info, I'll try the suggestions out and post back shortly.

Edit: I successfully deleted the two values that called upon the .DLLs, restarting now.

<snip>It's perfectly fine to run without a pagefile, but you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference either way in terms of performance. I personally have mine disabled so I understand how you feel though. ;-)
@Rick
Thanks for that link. I'll have to take a read through it :)

And, in general, as to running without a pagefile these days...

With 64 bit CPUs, MS themselves now also say a pagefile is not necessarily required. Where they now say things like
As the amount of RAM in a computer increases, the need for a page file decreases...

The following guidelines and methods will help you determine the appropriate page file size for your system. There is no specific recommendation for page file size. Your requirements will be based on the hardware and software that you use and the load that you put on the computer.

From MS: How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions of Windows
. And while this link link is about XP and Server 2003, i think would, in general, also hold true for Win 7 as well?

And another fyi link about assessing one's page file from MS' Performance Team
What is the Page File for anyway?

Nice setup King,

Thinking out loud here!

Page File in Win7 has more of a Queuing role as in keeping a list of what is in the Memory.

Even thought I have heard from friends, disabling Page File in Vista and Win7 x64 has helped with gaming; I thought turning it OFF does little or nothing!

Don't know with this mobo, but does it have "Maximum Memory" settings in the BIOS, If yes, what is it set to?

What is the "Maximum Memory" set to in the "Advanced Boot Options" in Windows!

Does "Windows Resource Monitor" show any amount of RAM as "hardware Reserved" that would lower the reported 1.8GB free?! (Nvidia had issues but corrected it with driver updates, don't know about ATI with 2 X 1GB)

Even though we are talking OS here, some programs do require the Page File and can cause "Low Memory" warnings if turned OFF.

Is 12GB or 24 GB of RAM an option!

/Thinking out loud

Back