TechSpot

LSASS.exe application error

By freshtag
Nov 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have a desktop running Windows XP Pro W/SP3 that will not boot. It give an error of LSASS.exe Application Error when it starts up and when you click on OK it just reboots. I am unable to boot into any Safe Mode option. Restart with last known configuration does nothing as well. I am able to boot with a bootable CD to see if it will even load. I have tried to use a Windows XP disc to repair the install but it gives me a BSOD after loading all the files and before it starts up. Looking for any help possible. I know there was a lsass.exe virus at one time and not sure if this is it or not. Thanks in advance.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,067   +169

What antivirus program are you using?

3. freshtag

freshtag TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 36

I am using McAfee Enterprise v8.8

4. Tmagic650

5. freshtag

I am unable to remove McAfee becasue I am unable to login to the computer at all. When computer boots up it gives me the lsass.exe error right away before even loading the login screen. I click on OK and it just reboots. I am unable to boot into safe mode and unable to repair the computer with a windows XP disc.

6. Tmagic650

If you have an XP install disk, boot with it and when you get to the listed partitions, delete them and format. This will start a clean XP install, but you will loose all your data. You will have to re-apply all the XP service packs and 1000's of other updates

7. freshtag

Is there a way around this without having to do a reinstall? I have already tried to repair this with a windows XP **** and get a BSOD.

Looking for a way around without having to do a complete reinstall. I have seen other post on this site to help with this issue w/o reinstall. I would like to a clean install to be the last resort...

8. Tmagic650

If you are getting a BSOD when trying to repair XP, you have a hardware failure like a memory module or a failing hard drive. Also, check the motherboard for bad capacitors near the CPU socket

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.