LTE Direct will allow devices to communicate without a cellular tower

Shawn Knight

Staff member

lte direct lte wi-fi bluetooth beacon

Qualcomm has been working on the next generation of wireless technology for the last seven years. They’re calling it LTE Direct and as the name suggests, it’s built on top of the LTE protocol and will allow devices to communicate directly without the assistance of a cell tower.

As Technolog Review points out, LTE Direct works at distances greater than 500 yards which means its range extends much further than Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It also uses very little energy so a device can constantly scan for a signal without being a serious battery drain.

LTE Direct won’t be limited to handsets, however, as beacons can also be set up to communicate directly with nearby devices. Qualcomm’s Mahesh Makhijani described it as a sixth sense that is always aware of the environment around you. The world around us is full of information, Makhijani added, and the phone can use that to help people in their everyday life.

While it sounds neat in theory, the implementation could turn out much different. Imagine walking into a subway station where your cellular network doesn’t get service and suddenly your phone is flooded with alerts. Store A is running a sale, you can save five percent off with a digital coupon at Store B while Store C is staying open an extra two hours during the holiday season.

In other words, it could get very annoying in no time flat.

LTE Direct is likely to hit handsets sometime late next year although it’ll probably take a bit longer for retailers and advertisers to set up beacons in high-traffic public places.

Permalink to story.

LTE direct is going to be great. It will directly cause cancer. It will communicate cancer to your body direct without the assistance of a tower hahaha. Direct means more high power radiation goody. Also it will give away your privacy direct. Your wallet goes to the crooks direct. I wonder how the nsa will like this they can get your info direct. No warrant for tower needed. Enough with the direct jokes. Sounds good. But is it?

Until you install the new LTE Direct Ad Block, which will be available 6 hours after LTE Direct goes live for the low, low price of $.99!

Why is it that the first thing people think of when they hear of new technology is the downsides? If the benefit doesn't outweigh the hassle, then we'll just turn it off. it's like saying you feel sorry for a lottery winner because they have to pay taxes on their prize.

Oh what number that is larger then 30 and goes right before 35. I think it is 34.99999999999999. Now I am confused which is larger 34.9 or 34.99. I think I got it. It is 34.9 so don't need more 9s on the end. But wait it did not work. It wants 34. Why. 34.9 is clearly bigger. Stuppid computer. By the way it did not ask for whole numbers. Or what they call these integers? They ask us to use our cognitive ability on these but yet they don't use theirs. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Every one go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Until you install the new LTE Direct Ad Block, which will be available 6 hours after LTE Direct goes live for the low, low price of $.99!

Why is it that the first thing people think of when they hear of new technology is the downsides? If the benefit doesn't outweigh the hassle, then we'll just turn it off. it's like saying you feel sorry for a lottery winner because they have to pay taxes on their prize.

There is a school where it is taught that reactively publishing negatives about a new product or idea demonstrates superior consumer intelligence. I do not know where this school is located, or what its name is. But a lot of people who graduated from that school (many with honors) populate the web. So, give the guy a break. He's just trying to represent his alma mater. You wouldn't criticize a Georgia Tech nerd for his affinity for yellowjackets, would you?

I absolutely agree to develop that APP. My husband is a software engineer, he said it is 100% possible! But it will make lost of people mad. Especially government, cell phone company. Talking about hassle of radiation, who carrying a cellphone right now will get the hassle already unless you don't take cellphone with.
Let's go to work on the APP!

so snoopy, the fbi/nsa agent can also directly download user data in no time at all?

Back