TechSpot

Lytro's camera lets you shoot now, focus later -- starts at $399

By Shawn Knight
Oct 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Lytro has unveiled the world’s first light field camera as a consumer-friendly device. The Silicon Valley start-up teased photographers and the tech savvy with sample images in June which left…

Read the whole story

2. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 688   +48

wow i'm going to lose my camera among my change!

3. taimuraly

taimuraly TS Enthusiast Posts: 118

I like the way it looks, kinda simple and well built. Reminds me of Apple Products. Heck even the Lytro site has the Apple feel to it. Pricing too seems over charged - Apple :haha:

4. Is this just for facebook & such? Whats the resolution? All the samples are pretty small...
    If I'm running Hi def I'd want a HQ desktop image...

5. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 982   +123

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

6. Night Hacker

Night Hacker TS Enthusiast Posts: 113   +12

I wonder if the glass on that shatters like an Apple too? ;)

7. taimuraly

taimuraly TS Enthusiast Posts: 118

lol by built I mean looks sturdy however actually being sturdy is another thing XD

8. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 244   +18

A square box with rounded corners.I feel another Apple lawsuit coming on.

9. Didn't seem to find how many megapixels..
    Anybody happen to know?

10. Field light camera don't work in the same way as conventional cameras, so you can't compare them in terms of megapixels.

I think it is fantastic they have gone for a square format, so you can crop to be portrait or landscape later. It's just a shame that they didn't produce more of a prosumer body.

11. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +10

First, to qualify my comments - the idea sounds absolutely great.

Let's pose another question - what's the maximum usable print size that this camera can produce?

12. Nice idea but I am not really impressed after manipulating the images on their website ...

13. I'll wait until V2.0 to take the plunge, but the notion of selecting a focus points after the shutter is pressed is very intriguing.

I think overall though that the device is too expensive to tempt people to explore the technology.

Pro's will focus on the lack of features, post processing options, no windows support for the devices image collection, limitations of uploading the pics to F'book or to Lytro's Cloud. Non pro camera geeks will balk at the price. And the rest of the market will consider selecting focus points post shoot a novelty.

14. 750 photos in 16GB = 22Mb per photo, so I would expect the final .jpg produced after all manipulation to have a decent number of pixels, definitely above 12MP!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.