M$ update mess

By hewybo
Jul 2, 2007
  1. For numerous reasons too long to go into, I recently ran the Windows Update on my XP Pro disc. The embedded browser was IE6, and Media player was v. 9. Downloaded/installed IE7 and Media Player 11. No problem yet. Then, because of the age of my install disc, I was 77 updates/security fixes short. They will not install. These fixes had been installed previously with no problem, and nothing has changed on my system. The OS is genuine - M$ confirms it, but the error message says "because of a problem with your computer, the updates cannot be installed."

Have tried many times, turned off third party AV and firewall (BitDefender 10) - same result every time. Could find no KB's at M$; nothing similar on Google.

Anybody know a workaround for this?:blackeye:
  2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,148   +597

4. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

'Please be more careful'

Since most of those pointers (if not all) are applicable to XP I don't see the problem - many of the related MS articles simply say applicable to Windows Update , NOT just Vista.

However, I get the message.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,148   +597

the page clearly says
    Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.
    Which edition of Windows Vista am I using?​
    and the most relevant topic offered is Vista specific.

Would cause me concern or possibly an emotional outburst if this were my topic.
  6. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 435

So - anyone got ideas that help?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.