Mac mini / MacOS & usb ports

By Didou
Dec 17, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My dad's considering getting a Mac mini (I admit encouraging him a bit) but I was wondering how the two USB ports react when a USB 1 device is plugged into it.

He has an USB hub (which is most likely USB 1) that he uses for his floppy drive, his HP printer & his USB removable storage drive. Will both USB ports present on the back of the Mac mini revert to USB 1 once the hub is plugged into it or will the 2nd port stay at USB 2 speeds ?
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I tested this with my iBook, plugged in USB 1.1 webcam and USB 2.0 memory stick, both worked at their max speed regardless of which port they used.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,351   +301

each plug on the system will run at the protocol of the device it is attached to :)

sole exception is your system hardware (not the devices) that is specifically USB 1.1 only. This will force a USB 2.0 device to run in the slower 1.1 protocol.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.