Mac OS 8.6 Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mac os 8.6 it is a power Macintosh I am having a problem with my extesions whenever the Mac starts It says Welcome to Mac and on the bottom it says Extensions off and I go into the extensions control panel and turn on the extensions that I want and restart and still the same thing happens no extensions. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem and what I could do to fix it?

sounds like the <space bar> (or caps lock) is stuck in the down position;
this is how you disable all extension when cold-booting Mac's 9.x and previous.

Ive checked all of the keys and nothing is stuck on and I thought that it was the shift key that if you held it then it started with all the extensions off.

Its been YEARS since I used OS 8, and I only made it to 8.5, but isn't there a turn on all option? Or can you only do that by checking all of them. Perhaps you can drag them all into another folder, and just add a few back at a time?

In the extensions Manager control Panel the only way to shut them off is turning then off one by one I try adding them one by one and see what happenes thanks for the help

Is there not an Extentions folder in the System Folder? (I honestly don't remember, but I'm 90% sure there is). If you have the Extentions Manager control panel closed, I bet you can remove those extentions manually to another directory. Then restart, and open up Extentions Manager control panel, there shouldn't be any in there. I'm not sure if thats going to do anything different than removing them through the control panel, its just been too long since I've used OS 8 and I don't have a machine I can test on nearby.

Yes there is any Extensions folder in the System folder and you can remove extensions Manually that way and put them in the extensions (Disabled) folder and they are off but the machine still starts up with extensions off it says when it is booting. Thanks

skeeter said:
Yes there is any Extensions folder in the System folder and you can remove extensions Manually that way and put them in the extensions (Disabled) folder and they are off but the machine still starts up with extensions off it says when it is booting. Thanks
If one investigates the Extension Manager, you will see for every item that can be disabled X,
there's an X (Disabled); Fonts, Control Panel, Extensions, Sounds, Preferences.
You can move any item from one to the other freely and then reboot.

For the boot-time messages, All Extensions Disabled, there's got to be a problem
with the keyboard, as the contents of the System folder are not yet determined.

In the extensions Manager I have some of the Extensions off and some of them on there are some X's and some there are blank and I will try another keyboard to see what happenes thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back