Mac OS or Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on your experience; While I have both and prefer Mac OS X, I still use
XP/Pro for many specific applications.

Have you or your family EVER used either one?

ye im currently using xp pro, and im starting a uni course and they recommend using mac os x as it is good for multimedia computing but they say xp pro is just a efficient in doing this so which one is the best grrrrrrr

Multi Media is the great niche market for Mac's -- nothing beats Final Touch and the Midi programs for Macs.

If that's your field -- bite the bullet and buy/learn Mac

I would go with Mac OS X

If you want to use it for multimedia purposes or to use top of the line picture editing and video editing programs( adobe cs3), then go with Mac OS X
IF you want your os to be more versatile, then use XP. But with versitility come virii. But if you know your way around the net, you don't need to worry about getting virii and spyware.

now my next question is, is the macbook pro worth the money i think im going to go with that laptop because of the independant graphics card what do you suggest?

Windows is far easier because everything works for it and everything is made for it. With a Mac you have to purchase Mac specific upgrades and software.

maxglover1989 said:
now my next question is, is the macbook pro worth the money i think im going to go with that laptop because of the independant graphics card what do you suggest?
No, don't buy the Apple upgrade RAM, you are not buying anything other than regular RAM, just at absurd prices. I have some Crucial RAM in my Powerbook that works great. I'd recommend buying name brand RAM because (at least in the past) Mac system boards have been somewhat picky about what they will run.

Right now I have 1 XP/Ubuntu machine, 1 Vista Machine, 1 XP Only machine (about to get replaced with OSx86 or Ubuntu 8.04), 1 Mac Mini (Intel), and 1 Powerbook (Mac, PowerPC), and a PowerMac G4. Having said that...

I always try to do any AV work on my Macs, there is absolutely no program that I've found on Windows that comes anywhere close to ffmpegx for transcoding video. iMovie and iDVD are fantastic (easier and more powerful than Windows Movie Maker).

As far as jonmcc33's comment about everything works for Windows and you have to buy stuff for the Mac, thats not true at all. There are thousands of freeware apps for OS X just like they are for Windows. And unlike apps for Windows there seems to be a culture behind development of apps for OS X, a culture that strives for elegance and simplicity. That is something you rarely find in Windows. And as far as purchasing stuff, any high end program for either platform you are going to have to purchase, its just nice that the included apps when you buy a Mac are more elegant and powerful compared to their counterparts on Windows.

jonmcc33 said:
Windows is far easier because everything works

lol... That's the most misinformed thing I've EVER heard. This whole forum exists because it doesn't work.

Rick said:
lol... That's the most misinformed thing I've EVER heard. This whole forum exists because it doesn't work.

Wrong, this forum exists because people break their own computers. That's why companies like Geek Squad (no affiliation) make millions of dollars repairing them.

Install Windows with default settings and it will work on any PC. It's when you start to install the WRONG things or fiddle in areas you should (registry) is when it doesn't work. That's not the fault of the OS but the person using it. Hence coining the popular phrase "user error".

jonmcc33 said:
Install Windows with default settings and it will work on any PC. It's when you start to install the WRONG things or fiddle in areas you should (registry) is when it doesn't work. That's not the fault of the OS.
Assuming this were even true (which we both know is not for any OS), how is this different than Mac OS?
"Windows is far easier because everything works"
I ask, because you implied it does NOT work that way on Mac OS. Explain?

Rick said:
Assuming this were even true (which we both know is not for any OS), how is this different than Mac OS?

Given that it meets minimum requirements...yes, you can install Windows on any PC.

Rick said:
I ask, because you implied it does NOT work that way on Mac OS. Explain?

I'd waste my time trying to explain. If you don't understand then you never will.

jonmcc33 said:
Given that it meets minimum requirements...yes, you can install Windows on any PC.
You can install Mac OS on any Mac that 'meets system requirements'? So how is this even a point?

I'd waste my time trying to explain. If you don't understand then you never will.
Good job blowing a lot of air without any framework to support your assumptions...

Rick said:
You can install Mac OS on any Mac that 'meets system requirements'? So how is this even a point?

You cannot install Mac OS on a PC though can you? You can install Windows on a Mac though.

Rick said:
Good job blowing a lot of air without any framework to support your assumptions...

No, because everyone knows the answer already. I've stated it far too many times in the past to repeat myself to someone with blinders on.

jonmcc33 said:
You cannot install Mac OS on a PC though can you?
Why should you? The point you brought up was Windows can be installed on any PC and my point is Mac OS can be installed on any Mac. How did this go over your head?

Windows is far easier because everything works
Since you're awesome at twisting threads around, I'd like to get back to the point. When is the last time you installed Mac OS and had to install drivers, for example? Mac OS is guaranteed to work out of the box - and well. Of course, the entire reason is the elitist nature of Apple's locked-in software + hardware model that you so desperately hate.

You're silly to think that Windows works 'OOTB' with its 'default configuration'. That's a frickin' rarity and you know it, if you've worked with PCs at all... I find it really difficult to believe that anyone thinks Windows works better OOTB than Mac OS. If drivers aren't enough of a reason, I can definitely name more. Just ask... Mac OS does work without any configuration and Windows doesn't a vast majority of the time - your argument is radical and nonsensical.

I've stated it far too many times in the past to repeat myself to someone with blinders on.
Back at you...

Rick said:
Why should you? The point you brought up was Windows can be installed on any PC and my point is Mac OS can be installed on any Mac. How did this go over your head?

Windows can be installed on any PC and Mac. Mac OS can only be installed on a Mac. It doesn't work with everything. Get it yet?

Rick said:
Since you're awesome at twisting threads around, I'd like to get back to the point. When is the last time you installed Mac OS and had to install drivers, for example? Mac OS is guaranteed to work out of the box - and well. Of course, the entire reason is the elitist nature of Apple's locked-in software + hardware model that you so desperately hate.

Yep, because hardware manufacturers do not have Mac drivers available at their website I guess!

Rick said:
You're silly to think that Windows works 'OOTB' with its 'default configuration'. That's a frickin' rarity and you know it, if you've worked with PCs at all... I find it really difficult to believe that anyone thinks Windows works better OOTB than Mac OS. If drivers aren't enough of a reason, I can definitely name more. Just ask... Mac OS does work without any configuration and Windows doesn't a vast majority of the time - your argument is radical and nonsensical.

Well, as newer hardware comes out obviously it's not going to work out of the box because how can hardware developers make drivers for hardware that doesn't exist yet?

BUT! Windows does have the ability to go out to the Microsoft website to pull drivers automatically for you. Then of course most hardware that you can buy separately comes with media that has drivers, blah, blah, blah.

If you go to a store like Walmart or Target what are the chances of you being able to find the software you want for Windows as opposed to Mac? My daughter loves her Disney games. Can I buy her a Mac and have her Disney games work on it right out of the box? Nope? Didn't think so...

jonmcc33 said:
Windows can be installed on any PC and Mac. Mac OS can only be installed on a Mac. It doesn't work with everything. Get it yet?
So that makes Windows better than Mac OS? Because its intended install base is different? Linux must be godly, since it works on EVERYTHING.

Yep, because hardware manufacturers do not have Mac drivers available at their website I guess!
They do, actually - the ones you need at least. Driver updates are included in your OS updates via software updater.

Well, as newer hardware comes out obviously it's not going to work out of the box because how can hardware developers make drivers for hardware that doesn't exist yet?
Hmm.. Apple seems to have done a pretty good job with this. I wonder how they do it? Hmm.

BUT! Windows does have the ability to go out to the Microsoft website to pull drivers automatically for you. Then of course most hardware that you can buy separately comes with media that has drivers, blah, blah, blah.
Same applies to Macs... and Windows' Update's ability to download missing drivers is more often a miss than a hit.

If you go to a store like Walmart or Target what are the chances of you being able to find the software you want for Windows as opposed to Mac? My daughter loves her Disney games. Can I buy her a Mac and have her Disney games work on it right out of the box? Nope? Didn't think so...
A ridiculous argument with no useful logic. The OOTB experience includes buying software from Target or Walmart? Seriously? BTW, there are plenty of Disney Games available for the Mac.

Rick said:
You're silly to think that Windows works 'OOTB' with its 'default configuration'. That's a frickin' rarity and you know it, if you've worked with PCs at all... I find it really difficult to believe that anyone thinks Windows works better OOTB than Mac OS.

What the frig? I can't believe you're being serious. Either you buy computers from alleys or you're one of the most terrible PC builders in the world.

Every single computer I have ever built works 100% no fail rate "OOTB", I build it, plug it in, install Windows - done. No errors, no problems, runs efficient. Once users start putting weird things on there or installing wrong, that's where the problems start. PC's working OOTB being a rarity is a completely absurd statement.

And you really must be blind to not understand the point here. The point being made is that Windows is so versatile that you can run any number of programs or hardware on, meaning you are not restricted to what your manufacturer is offering. Apple can only run things designed for Apple hardware/etc; PC's can run anything.

A PC can be updated many, many times before you finally have to make a major update. Whereas Apple you are pretty much stuck with what you got, can't tweak every aspect of its hardware; break something and you have to ship it away. I break my motherboard... I just get a new one and we're sweet in a day or two.

I think if you went all over the net download/buying/etc software and games, most of them won't run on Macs, but ~100% will run on a PC.

fullmetalvegan said:
Every single computer I have ever built works 100% no fail rate "OOTB", I build it, plug it in, install Windows - done. No errors, no problems, runs efficient. .
You have missed my point... which is you install Mac OS and everything is taken care of. :) There aren't additional driver CDs or a need to go fishing for things on the web. It just works. Your wireless will work. Your network card will work and so on.

There's no comparison in this regard and that really just can't be argued. jonmcc33 says the Windows OOTB experience is superior. I say that's not true.

Geez.. I don't care that much for Apple products I'm truly a PC person, but you guys make me want to buy a Macbook. =P

Well in THAT case then yes Mac OS has a superior "OOTB" experience, but that's redundant, cause it's not hard to install the added driver cds. =P

I've also found that with Vista I haven't needed any of my other driver cds. It managed to install my G15, G9, etc all on it's own. The only thing I needed drivers for was my wireless card off the cd. Was impressed with that, XP needed drivers for everything. =]

PC forever. =P I'm a gamer, so I don't have much of a choice anyway. But I personally find Mac's OS look/layout to be rather shabby looking, and slighly ugly. =|

fullmetalvegan said:
What the frig? I can't believe you're being serious. Either you buy computers from alleys or you're one of the most terrible PC builders in the world.

Every single computer I have ever built works 100% no fail rate "OOTB", I build it, plug it in, install Windows - done. No errors, no problems, runs efficient. Once users start putting weird things on there or installing wrong, that's where the problems start. PC's working OOTB being a rarity is a completely absurd statement.

And you really must be blind to not understand the point here. The point being made is that Windows is so versatile that you can run any number of programs or hardware on, meaning you are not restricted to what your manufacturer is offering. Apple can only run things designed for Apple hardware/etc; PC's can run anything.

A PC can be updated many, many times before you finally have to make a major update. Whereas Apple you are pretty much stuck with what you got, can't tweak every aspect of its hardware; break something and you have to ship it away. I break my motherboard... I just get a new one and we're sweet in a day or two.

I think if you went all over the net download/buying/etc software and games, most of them won't run on Macs, but ~100% will run on a PC.

What the hoot?

Dude, shut off your motormouth.

It is not up for you to say that.

Important thing is, to let people decide what's the best for their usage, such as apple laptop.

And you [censored] didn't mention anything about linux.

And more like 70% of games on pc, you dumb---

lol - f****p you *****. i can say whatever i want, and myself and Rick resolved our debate perfectly fine without you needing to add your useless two cents.

oh wow, let's be specific with percentages, it was a general statement I was making. And yes in that circumstance, that means Linux is superior to both Mac and PC, but because the issue was about Mac VS PC I didn't see the need to include it.

Terribly sorry, I'll make sure to include every minor, accurate and irrelevant detail in the future for all the few k**bs out that who lurk this board. =]

I'd like to voice comment on this one too. Personally i think that there is no real 'better' OS. One OS is better at the other in many other things.

For starters, i feel that if you want customisability and basically alot of things to fiddle around with, and also perhaps do some intense gaming, PC is definitely the way.

For Mac, i think its more suited for the simple computer user, who does word processing, listening to music, basically do what a PC does in essence and not worry bout anything else, that includes viruses.

HOWEVER, with the PC, if you know your way around it it can provide the same amount of service and more, but thats only if you know how to maintain it well and also work your way around its kinks >_> by no mean is XP or any windows operating system perfect. The number of times it makes my Photoshop CS3 crash on me is just frustrating... yet i wouldn't trade it in for a mac because for starters i know it can do much more than a mac, and i don't really need that level of simplicity, as i myself am sort of a hardware enthusiast.

Secondly, i think that even if i were to get a mac i'd think again. I did mention that macs would be used for the simpler aspects of computing, but i also think that the free Linux OSes such as Ubuntu, Fedora, or any other linux distro can do the same, and you don't need to pay the insane prices of a mac book.

Personally, i think Mac is just a fad, just like the ipod. Its a symbol more than a machine itself and its bought for that purpose. Thats just my view, and if you can prove me wrong i'd be delighted to hear your *VALID* reasons.

Though I have never really used a MAC (though I bought my first computer 1982 so I would say I am fairly experienced PC user... well when I say computer I mean it in its loosest form as it was a ZX81) and I use to hate MAC and its users with a vengeance in the 90ties (since then I have slightly matured). But I remember my first IT Admin job where I introduced a PC only policy so I could get rid of all the macs

Anyway to say "i think its more suited for the simple computer user" I think is doing mac users in justice.

I think what has always appealed to me about PCs is that you can take them apart, tweak every aspect of them. To try to squeeze out a bit more power, though I always use the argument that I need a more frames per second for games in reality is the tinkering a goal in it self. And I think that is true for many "advanced" PC users. So though when I say I am an advanced PC user, I never actually mean I do anything particularly advanced computing with my computers
All my computer usage is about maximizing the performance out of the existing hardware/software, without actually using that power for anything else but games.

When I hear of MAC users who just get on with their computers, no BSDs etc I always think Apple has got it far more right then Windows. But it think the issue for MS has always been that there is no standard set of hardware.

So in my humble opinion these days I would recommend a MAC to people who just want to use it for just what it is and perhaps that is "simple" users though I think that is slightly unfair.
And if you love tinkering pushing the system etc, and you dont mind that every now and then you will have to rebuild the system then PCs are ones to go for.
Though after running FreeNAS off an USB stick am I starting to get more and more tempted by Linux, if it wasnt for my beloved games. Especially as Linux requires even more tinkering than Windows.

Well that is just my 5 pence worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back