Mac Question, going to an auction this weekend

By Scuall
Dec 4, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's been awhile since I've used an Apple, I own numerous PCs. Anyways, I'm headed to a computer auction at Abilene Christian University this weekend. I'm particulary interested in this;

"Powerful G5 Powermacs with Dual 2.0GHz Processors, 1.5 GB, 150GB HD, DVD burners, and Apple Studio LCD Display!"

I haven't seen a decent price for this online. Any estimate what I should pay (limit) at an auction for it?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,428   +281

Basically look up the price of the LCD display by itself, those things are insane.

I don't really know what you should set as your limit. The tower and components themselves (minus the monitor) appear to fetch you well over $500 on ebay. Closer to 700+ it seems.

Might want to look at this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-G5-Power-PC...9|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
    it is probably about what you are looking at. $560 with 8.25 hours left, with a buy it now of $900.

Those are pretty sweet machines and will handle a lot of work, probably not so good for gaming though. I've heard they are pretty loud, and another concern is they will not be able to run Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) when it comes out, so you are going to be limited in a couple years on what new software you can run on it.

Not trying to discourage you, just providing some information you may not be aware of. I'm a pretty happy Mac user, I've got 3 Macs and 3 PCs at home.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,288   +281

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.