Macbook bios password reset

By mshane
Sep 5, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have a macintosh macbook laptop i need to reset th bios password can anyone help me please thankyou . mshane
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Macs don't have a bios, but I think you mean it has a firmware password. Resetting it requires changing the amount of physical memory (more or less, so if it has 2 sticks, remove one) and then booting it up while holding command(apple) + option + p + r. You need to hold down until you hear the "chong" twice. After this, the password is removed. The password normally disables resetting the p ram like that (and also booting off discs), but changing the memory amount allows it to be reset on next boot. It's odd, but that's how it is.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,336   +293

this is the EPROM ZIP sequence which will reset all options. It will not reset any passwords.
    I've never used or seen a hardware PW on Macs, but that doesn't mean there is none :)
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,285   +262

Actually - VNF hit it on the head - except I believe you have to that process 3 times (not changing the amount of memory.) Also, if you can boot into the machine just fine you can use this application to get the open firmware password.

http://www.securemac.com/file-library/FWSucker.sit
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,336   +293

yes, I recall the 3X issue too ...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.