Machine Freezes shortly after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
My specs are
A8n-SLi
Amd x2 64 3800
2 gigs of ram
Windows XP

This computer i built back in 2006, A little while ago we had some power outages in this neighborhood, I was gone and my PC was left on, when i returned I played World of warcraft for a bit but the computer locked up. As i restarted the lock-ups would occur sooner and sooner, so thinking it was a heat issue i left the computer off overnight and It would lock up within a minute or so even while in bios or booting up. Eventually locking up before the monitor even switched on, now i can't get past this.

About a month before this, the on board audio burnt out, so i replaced with a PCI Sound card. Also the SLI chipfan on the MB died and i replaced it with a fan that fit it. When i did this i also added new sealant to the CPU fan/chip.

-All the fans are still turning
-Let it sit overnight to cool before trying again
-Tried memory sticks by themselves
-I checked the PSU with a multimeter according to a "check your Psu with a multi-meter guide" on tech support forums, I haven't done this previously before but all the readings were around what they should be under the specified circumstances.
-the reset/power button doesn't seem to be working either after a lock-up

I think its the MB/CPU but i don't have another MB with the same slot handy, I just want to be certain its the MB/CPU before i replace it and not the video card. Even though i am due for a new computer i think.

Thanks in advance,
Kris

Have you tried booting with the XP cd in the drive to see if it is a corrupt install causing boot fail?

If it will boot to the cd install/repair screen, do a repair install.

Have you tried booting with the XP cd in the drive to see if it is a corrupt install causing boot fail?

If it will boot to the cd install/repair screen, do a repair install.

the computer literally freezes seconds after i hit the power switch, literally before even the video kicks on.

You can disconnect the hd and cd drive and try again.

Keep disconnecting stuff until it tries to boot even if all you get is beeps.

You can try a bios reset also (jumpers or pull the cmos battery, whatever).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back