MACHINE_CHECK.EXCEPTION blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
The got the following message on my computer:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

MACHINE_CHECK.EXCEPTION

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0X0000009C (0X00000004, 0X805366F0, 0XB2000000, 0X00070F0F)

The only thing

The only thing I've done recently is download the driver & software (Record Now) for my cd burner. When I originally got the burner (HP 9710i) on my then "new" computer (Feb. 2002), the guy that sold it to us told me not to load the software that came with it because it wasn't compatible with Windows XP. He told me to go to HP's website and download the compatible software . . . which I did. I got a new computer in January of this year and kept my old hard drive as a 2nd drive. After downloading the software from the HP website I restarted my computer and started the software (so I could back up my data), and my old hard drive crashed. After 3 months of it being in the shop (trying to retrieve my data) II decided not to download the software since I found out I didn't need it to burn cd's. That worked for a little while but then it got to where I couldn't burn cd's at all. There was always some error. So, in desparation, I downloaded the software and I was back in business . . . for a few cd's anyway . . . and then disaster struck. Does anyone have any suggestions.

(Sorry to be so wordy but just trying to give a little background)

Welcome to TechSpot

go here first, then make this one of your Favorites for future use
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

They say:
0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

A very wide choice, by the looks of it.

Did you move your PC around lately, or did you perhaps kick it in frustration? This might have unseated some card or cable.
Switch off the PC, disconnect the powercord, open the PC, then earth yourself on e.g. the metal of a radiator, then remove and reseat all cards and memory-chips. Check all the flat connectors to all your drives, and also on the motherboard. Check all your power-cables to the HD, CD, Floppy etc.

When done, leave it open, reconnect the power and start it up.
Check that all the fans (especially on the CPU) are working.
Now try your CD-burning if that error is still there. If so, report back please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back