TechSpot

Machine_Check_Exception(Windows XP)[No minidump?]

By Joshle
Jun 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. So, as the title implies, I got a BSoD today that said "Machine_Check_Exception" now unfortunately...for whatever reason, there is no minidump to go along with it, the "minidump" folder is empty. So I don't know what to do about that.
    But, I would like to say that I have run a virus scan, a malewarebytes scan, and gmer.
    I have logs from both malewarebytes and gmer, if anyone would like to see them, though the malewarebytes run came up with no infected files, so I don't know if that is necessary.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Is XP fully updated to Service Pack 3 and beyond? Is the computer clean and free of dust? How old is this computer?

3. Joshle

Joshle TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm not sure, how do I check? I believe so. And I dunno, maybe 3 or so years old.
    Nevermind, yes it is updated to service pack 3.

4. Tmagic650

Run Windows Update manually until no more updates are found. Download and install the optional updates too

5. Joshle

Okay, so I did that but now...my enter key suddenly stopped working? It's making it really hard to type...

6. Tmagic650

7. Joshle

8. Tmagic650

Can you borrow one?

9. Joshle

Possibly, at some point in time.
    Is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

10. Tmagic650

You may be infected with with malware

11. Joshle

Well last time I ran malewarebytes it came up with nothing, but I can run it again to be sure.

12. Tmagic650

You need an antivirus program like Microsoft Security Essentials. Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program!

13. Joshle

I have avast. Also comes up empty. But you said maleware, not virus. So I assumed malewarebytes. My apologies.

14. Tmagic650

Get rid of avast