Magicjack says "no output/input devices are found"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames82

hi,

to be fair, i am also posting this problem on other sites. if i find a solution, i promise to share it at all sites.

i have purchased a magicjack, which is a device about twice the size of a flashdrive. it allows the owner to make phone calls and receive them, by utilizing the broadband connection, through the USB port.
it's very simple to activate. first plug the telephone line with the phone at the other end, then plug the magicjack into the USB port.
as you know, when using the usb port, a pop-up asks what you want to do. i choose "take no action>ok".
a registration GUI is supposed to pop-up after it loads. mine didn't without disabling my AV. i've heard that the firewall can also hamper this.
when the registration is complete, the new interface shows your new number, and says "ready to call".
for all intents and purposes, i will call the phone that's plugged into the magicjack the "magicjack phone".
i tried to call the magicjack phone from my cell phone, the cell phone number shows up on the magicjack interface. there is a recorded message that plays on the cell phone that says "the call you are attempting to place is not allowed from this line". i don't know if my cell phone company is allowing the call or not.
when i try to call the cell phone from the magicjack phone, i get a pop-up window stating the following:

no audio devices found
no output/input devices are found
please check that your audio devices are present and/or connected, turned on, and their drivers are installed

for the past 9 months i have been using a dial-up connection, and i have the computer trimmed down in every way i was advised to make the best use of 31.2 kbps speed. i know i have to reenable and start telephony, universal plug and play, and windows audio, in the services.msc. i tried to make them automatic, but forgot to start them until now.
i have not used any sound with the dial-up either. i am not sure what i did to shut it off. i'm sure i need to turn it back on.

if my problem is a driver issue, then i'm lost. i am completely unknowledgeable about drivers. also, i notice the device manager is a shambles since this magicjack endevour.

anybody who has in-depth knowledge of hardware and drivers, and the control panel, i would sure appreciate their insight and suggestions as to what i have going wrong.

my computer is a compaq presario with 256 ram and xpsp2. thanks.

Didn't the device come with a driver disc? If not, go to the manufacturer's website for the latest driver available, download it and install it.

Also update XP to Service Pack 3. This will help with driver issues. MagicJack has a Customer Service website. Have you consulted them? I know you have other problems with your PC, maybe not directly related to the Magicjack at all

mailpup said:
Didn't the device come with a driver disc? If not, go to the manufacturer's website for the latest driver available, download it and install it.

I don't think there is a driver disc needed for the MagicJack mailpup

their customer support is horrible. the faq page helps very little, and the link to customer support doesn't work. i tried clicking on it all night last night.
i have installed everything included in the servicepack 3 except the killbit. i've heard there are issues with servicepack 3. something related to false positives.
i have checked out device manager and everything there was fixed on reboot.
i turned off the sound, when i had dial-up (i don't have dial-up anymore, i have road runner high speed broadband). i don't remember how i turned off the sound. i don't know if that is of any relevance.
thanks for the replies.

What is the model number of the Presario? XP Service Pack 3 is basically a compilation of the 100 or so XP updates since SP2 was released. If you haven't done XP updates regularly over the past 6 months, I still recommend that you download and install SP3. I have done so on many lesser computers including several 2001 Gateways. If you came here for help take it or not. It doesn't matter to us

Tmagic,
i have been religiously updating my computer. i just choose not to install that one part. i have heard that there are security issues with servicepack 3 that pertain to false positives. the killbit component is something microsoft can use to "kill" other programmes and applications. microsoft wants to be the owner of your computer. they don't want other programmes on your computer, only theirs.
if it is absolutely imperative to have these downloads to make the magicjack work, then i prefer to send the magicjack back to them.
i really do appreciate your help. my computer expertise is intermediate at best, and i meant no disrespect.

" I just choose not to install that one part. I have heard that there are security issues with servicepack 3 that pertain to false positives. the killbit component is something microsoft can use to "kill" other programmes and applications. microsoft wants to be the owner of your computer. they don't want other programmes on your computer, only theirs"...

Are you serious! Send the MagicJack back for a replacement

Tmagic,
yeah, i spoke to their live chat today, and they were unable to solve the problem. i honestly think the device is defective.
they have not charged my credit card yet, and if they want to furnish me with another, and give it another shot, i'm game. as long as they allow me an "out" to get my money back if i don't get satisfaction. they make a "no risk" promise, and i shouldn't get burnt because i believed them.
thanks for the reply.

the magicjack works.

here is a list of items to check. they may or may not be the cause of problems.

when unplugging magicjack, always use "safely remove hardware" properly

items to check in administrative tools>services
1. plug and play - started - automatic
2. remote access connection manager - started - manual
3. remote procedure call - started - automatic
4. remote procedure call (locator) - stopped - manual
5. telephony - started - manual
6. windows audio - started - automatic

network connections>local area connection properties>TCP/IP properties>general>obtain IP and DNS automatically

device manager - no yellow exclamation points or anything "out of place". no conflicts, everything working properly, and adequate bandwidth
sound, video, and game controllers>USB audio device>general - device working properly

control panel>sound and audio devices - not muted. all sliders at least 1/4 way up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back