Maingear boasts world's fastest laptop, eX-L 18

By Matthew
Jul 24, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It’s been a little over a month since CyberPower claimed the title of “world’s fastest” with their 17” X7-Xtreme S1 laptop, and now Maingear has topped it with their eX-L 18. While I can’t vouch for the validity (or the seriousness) of Maingear’s claims, I can honestly say I haven’t come across any notebooks that match the eX-L 18’s prowess.

Read the whole story
  2. There is a laptop made by northwest falcon that has a quad core cpu in it, and two of everything else you could want to boost performance.
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,042   +84 Staff Member

@Guest: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36727
  4. Deathstar17

Deathstar17 Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

Hmmm....does thing get up like 900 degrees or something? Sweet mother...
  5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,042   +84 Staff Member

With a chassis to match the 18.4" screen, I'm sure there's probably plenty of room for cooling apparatus. :) I bet it does get pretty damn hot though.
  6. Battery life has got to be in the crapper....
  7. DarkCobra

DarkCobra Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

Agree with the others . . . it better have some kind of liquid cooling because with a package so flat there's no way fans are going to suffice. Also, what does this thing weigh? Something like 20 pounds perhaps? I'm just not seeing why one would spend so much on a laptop anyway. Moving something this heavy and this expensive with any degree of regularity must cause beads of sweat to pour down your face out of sheer fear of dropping it. Nope, think I'd keep it anchored somewhere and therefore why not just get a desktop with more room to grow and easier to cool as well. Just doesn't make a lot of sense as a portable.
  8. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,263   +41

For the people commenting, I thought the topic has been discussed of nvidia cards not being rebadged as they should when considering a laptop. Please remember that this isnt near the gtx280 you can put in your desktop, its more like a gtx250, with lower clock speeds to have lower power requirements.

The quad will draw 140watts max, I doubt you could max that thing out though. You can see vents in the front, probably a great idea, pulling air in from the front and running the cool air across the board and out the back. Overall, decent design, best hardware, expensive, but it would last you a while, if you're doing productive stuff.
  9. has it got floppy drive too?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.