Maingear's $2,999+ GTX Titan Z desktops are surprisingly good value

By Scorpus
Aug 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Maingear has recently launched a new selection of their Battlebox gaming desktops, each powered by an Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan Z graphics card, that present surprisingly good value for anyone looking to buy an extremely powerful PC.

Read more
  2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,441   +594

$3500 and I get an i5? Those are very nice systems but they are anything but a good value, even if your paying retail for 'certain' components.
    Will an i5 even push GPU's at 4k?
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  3. gigantor21

gigantor21 TS Member Posts: 18   +12

It's a good value....if you're willing to waste three grand on NVIDIA's nonsensically priced card anyway. Is AMD's latest dual-GPU solution so bad that it negates being half the same price?
  4. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 1,785   +186

Did a quick calculation, and the entry-level Vybe is a few hundred cheaper than if you get two Titan Blacks in SLI with the same parts (and build it yourself), and a thousand cheaper than if you get a Titan Z.

Conversely, it's more expensive if you use two GTX 780 Tis in SLI
  5. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 151   +67

The bottleneck is more likely to shift to the GPU at high resolutions making the CPU less important once you reach a certain point.
  6. soulsassassin

soulsassassin TS Booster Posts: 68   +14

How much money maingear gives you guys in return for this advertisement
  7. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 475   +153

The Core I's don't suffer from the old bottlenecks of the Core 2's and older because of the direct connection between CPU and RAM and not through the old CPU-chipset-RAM with the limitations of the FSB frequency. In non-CPU dependent games, even the i3 will be great for gaming at max quality, almost at the same (<10% less) FPS than the i5 and i7.
  8. How do people still not understand that Titans aren't marketed at gamers? Why even bother comparing a Titan Z to a 295x2?