Major bug in Apple's Snow Leopard deletes all user data

By Jos
Oct 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Update (10/13/2009): In a short statement yesterday, Apple finally acknowledged the data-loss issue plaguing Snow Leopard, claiming the problem occurs only in "extremely rare cases" and that they are already working on a fix.

Read the whole story
  2. Yep, even the elitist Apple gets things wrong.
  3. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Well, Elite is not a term I would use... Controlling would be better... Apple has always had problems like this, but Apple always seemed to be able to control the flow of information. In our area all the newspaper folks are mac users... and nobody wanted to tattle.
    But anybody who runs a repair shop knows there are plenty of flakey problems with Apple MacIntosh... We become the field testers.
  4. On thing I've really had a lot of problems with on the MAC is securing my workstation. For some reason the screen saver password does not work. Once I go through the process of fixing it and am able to get it fixed the issue comes back. It seems like such a basic feature. It doesn't ever get fixed permanently even with all the updates.
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

It seems the problem is most likely to happen to people that have upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. This issue had better get fixed soon though, I mean next-update-soon.
  6. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

Didn't this exact thing happen from Tiger to Leopard?
  7. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TechSpot Maniac Posts: 481   +8

Horrible time to be using Snow leopard AND a sidekick...although I don't think that number is too high...
  8. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 899   +52

That would be why I never upgrade an operating system without backing up everything first.
  9. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

You shouldn't be using a computer without backing up everything first!
  10. Scare tactic headlines as usual... implying that the computer could be wiped clean by the new OS. The average user doesn't know "user" data from diddly.

For the moment, there are few random problems of this nature that might indicate a bug problem.

Regardless, anyone who jumps into a new OS, update or otherwise, in the first week after release is living in Dreamland if the expect perfection, whether it's Mac or Microsoft.
  11. Ouch,

Not good for Macs there.

Brandon
    Tech Rave
    techraveblog.blogspot.com

12. The cult will simply declare this a feature. Does this mean the Mac guy will be deleted as well?
  13. don't you ever make a mistake?
  14. It happened to me a few days ago! I lost 300GB worth of data and had to restore a backup from a few months back. What a nightmare! I logged in to my guest account, logged out and lost everything on my main account. My first real big problem with an Apple operating system since 7+ years... BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.