TechSpot

Major Morrowind lag

By mopar man
May 22, 2007
  1. Hey, Here's the deal:

While playing Morrowind, if I am at an interior cell, it will almost always be running at 20-90 fps, but as soon as I go outside it runs from 5-15, hardly ever 20. I really don't think it should be doing this because I play Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour at a decent speed (about 20-40 I believe), Although Company of Heroes runes at about 14 fps. I have the AI Distance at lowest it can go, and have taken off Pixel Shading, AND lowered the resolution to 800X600, yet nothing works.

BTW: I have even used the program Game Boost set to fast due to the deal of having to buy it. Still didn't work.

Ram: 1Gb straight from Dell
    Video Card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 PCI
    Processer: Pentium 3; 2.4Ghz
    Hard Drive: From Dell, but 34GB

Also, Is 2048Mb a good Pagefile Memory setting?

Thanks Beforehand!

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

3. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 1,379

After doing both of what you said, I STILL couldn't figure anything out, aside from the fact that it sucks (which I already knew), but a lot of people love it.

I searched and nothing came up that I could use. I also saw that overclocking it would be a waste of time... Is that true?? I am no longer sure the exact card... whether its a 128 or 256 Mb card is unknown. How could I find out?

I would buy a 6200 or better, if I could afford it. To tell you the truth, I can't afford anything right now, or later most likely. So anything that gets done needs to be free. Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when running games at speeds like 20-40, it jitters/stops for a split second. Like when building on Generals, lets say it takes a second to get a percent while building, about every 5-10 percentages it takes it 1.2 and you see everything stop for a split second. It's not like lag....

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

I don't think it is your P3 because I played Morrowind on a P3 1.2 without a problem and this is with a vanilla Radeon 9200. I suspect it is your graphics card. Have you downloaded and installed a number of mods? Mods can really put a hit on your GPU.

5. mopar man

no

No, I play with NO mods because I have Dial up and don't worry about it... Although I have some that I can use... Can they be causing it? You know, the ones that are on data files?

6. Route44

Unless you have installed the data files I doubt your issues are due to these files. It has been several years since I last played. Is your game patched?

7. mopar man

yes it came from the GOTY edition without the expansions.....

I didn't "install" them, but I can choose to activate them.

Edit: I found out one thing: My 5200 is 256Mb, not 128. Thanks.

8. mopar man

Haha, Sorry for the trouble.... I figured it out.

Something this simple getting missed....tsk tsk tsk...

I opened up nVidia control panel, and overclocked (made CNC Generals run better anyway) which did nothing for morrowind.

I then decided "Well, might as well make sure it is not an in-game option I missed!"... Guess what? It was View Distance. It got set to its default setting (75%) which is way to much for my system...

Thanks anyway, because this taught me something... Check in-game settings!!

9. Route44

Glad it has been resolved in a simple manner. And I appreciate you telling us it is resolved because many come here, get help, but fail to tell us if it is fixed or not.

I'm thinking of reinstalling Morrowind. I haven't played it in years and the first time I played I was far from finishing it.

10. mopar man

Yes, I have noticed that with all of the old threads that end with a bunch of people helping and the topic creator vanishing.

Oh, and one more question: Is it possible to get the expansions free legally? I bought the GOTY edition at wal-mart to find out all it contained was the game and tes construction set, without the meshes or textures. Thanks, and your welcome!

11. Route44

There are tons of Mods out there that vastly improve the game on many levels. And they are free. The thing is that they are compiled in several formats: WinZip, .rar, 7-Zip, etc. Do yourself a favor and really take your time to investigate throughly before installing.

12. mopar man

Ok, Thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.