TechSpot

Major Sony VAIO problems - graphically, freezes, blue screens etc

By Tommygunn
Jan 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ18E which is experience some major problems at the moment.
    Firstly, I get 'nvlddmkm' problem about every 10mins or thereabouts which causes the screen to lock, go fuzzy, blank the screen and then revive and become functional again.

[​IMG]

This can eventually, or straight away, lead to a total fuzzy screen lock-up where I simply have to hit the off button to restart the computer.
    This is also interspersed by various other screens such as those below; mixed pages, blue screen, which seem to have come from the Matrix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The computer is about four years old and the front left of it can get very hot.
    Is it just knackered?
    Would a re-format and re-install do the trick?

Any ideas or solutions?

Cheers,
    Tom.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,929   +167

The Nvidia graphics chip on the motherboard is probably over heating. The CPU/GPU cooling port may be clogged with dust or the thermal pads or paste need to be cleaned and replaced

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.