Major Virus/Malware Issues; Unable to Complete the 8 Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've picked up some virus/malware in the last 24 hours. I have CC Cleaner/ Malwarebytes/Avira/Super Anti-Spyware/ Hijack This already installed. I can run the CC Cleaner. Avira will begin to run after an update, but will then stop about 14% of the way through a scan, and then when I try to run a scan again, nothing will happen. When I try to run Malwarebytes, SAS, or Hijack This I get the following message, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I am getting a kinds of Fake security center alerts, and when I restart the computer, the Avira guard and windows Firewall are deactivated. There are icons for "Protection System" and "Protection System Support" on my desktop. I'd really appreciate any help or suugestion; I'm sort of at my wit's end. Thanks.

Turn off "System Restore" in XP by going to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Protection and uncheck all restore points...
Try running the scans in SAFE Mode and restart your computer. Reboot and try running the scans once more. If all goes well, reboot the computer once more and recheck the restore point boxes you unchecked before

I've tried turning off the System Restore and running the scans in safe mode, but I still get the same "Windows cannot access..." message. Avira will begin a scan after an update (it seems to reconfigure something that will allow the scan to run after a restart) but won't run all the way to the end, and then will say that the last scan completed was the day before the trouble started. Thanks again for taking the trouble to help.

In the Control Panel, right click on the hard drive icon and select Properties,Tools. Check Hard drive. When asked to start a disk check on a restart, say yes. restart your computer and let the disk check run

I'm using Windows XP. The control panel is in "classic" view and doesn't show a place to switch to "category" view. I can't find any place thuo a disk check upon restart. The closest I come is Admin. tools/computer mgmt./disk mgmt./C: drive/tools/error checking. Should I run this? Thanks again for your time.

I ran CHKDSK upon restart. Sorry about the brain fart; this "thing" has changed some of the functions and appearances on my computer, so I'm a little timid about running something I shouldn't run. I've tried running all the scans that I can, both in regular and safe mode, but the only thing that will run is CCleaner. After an update Avira will run, but not to completion, and Malwarebytes/SAS/HJT won't run or update at all; I just get that "Windows cannot access..." message.

Running the Error Check (chkdsk) should be a part of your regular maintenance- it's not something to shy away from. But when I use it, I go this way:

My Computer> Right click on Local Drive- usually C> Properties> Tools> Error Checking> check both boxes on the screen that comes up> Apply> OK> Close message and reboot.

By checking the 2 boxes, you are telling the system to automatically fix file system errors and scanning for and attempting recovery of bad sectors. You are giving instructions to the error checking feature what you want it to do. This may or may not help you- but it will not hurt you.

And if you need to go a step further, you can use the SFC(System File Checker) to scan. Best to have the CD on hand in case files need to be replaced.

Give either or both of those a chance before considering a reinstall.

"Give either or both of those a chance before considering a reinstall"...

Good advice Bobbye... CHKDSK is even better and more powerful in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back