Majority stakeholder in Activision Blizzard considering sale

By Shawn Knight
Jun 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Vivendi, the multimedia conglomerate based in Paris that owns a controlling 61 percent stake in Activision Blizzard, may be considering a sale of some or all of their shares in...

Read the whole story

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

wow.... money money...
  3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Oh look, a shiny new comment system!

You still can't seen embedded images on the comment section, though. :(

As for the article, well, I think it's good they want to get rid of Activision. To be honest only WoW and CoD are making them money. I assume with the inevitable demise of CoD in the near future, and with new MMOs really shaping up to shake up the genre (such as Guild Wars 2 or The Elder Scrolls Online), I think this is nothing but a preemptive maneuver.

Well, maybe not...
  4. Xero07

Xero07 TS Booster Posts: 100

The french had a controlling stake in the call of duty series? that explains a lot.
  5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,890   +645

You forgot Diablo 3, that sold tons and is going to have expansion packs and the real money auction.
  6. And Starcraft 2 !
  7. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Addict Posts: 331   +99

yes, at the rate blizzard releases mediocre titles we'll have the final of the 3 starcraft II products by the time my centennial birthday comes along. So done with blizzard.
  8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Blizzard releases games very strategically so as not to caniballize their own products. For example... WoW membership drops in the few months before an expansion. Last time during the slow period before WoW's 3rd expansion Starcraft 2 came out. Right now is the slow period before the 4th expansion and Diablo just came out.
    They have a public release schedule that outlines the next few years and all their big releases are staggered with each other so the same audience can enjoy all their games.
  9. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 279

I suppose it is going to get increasingly popular to rip on Blizzard for no other reason than they were top dog for so long, and are owned by Activision. I'm sure their 4.xx billion in earnings will only be small consolation as they laugh all the way to the bank.
  10. Not as good as they once where....
  11. oops. I meant were :)
  12. NeoFryBoy

NeoFryBoy TS Rookie Posts: 72

Except they aren't owned by Activision. Activision has no say in anything Blizzard does. It was just a title change so that A could bum off the popularity of B.
  13. Ranger1st,

Not sure if serious. Don't mix WOW and Diablo 3 with SC2. SC2 is an improved SC1 game, while D3 is more dummed down from D2. Until Company of Heroes 2 is released next year, Starcraft 2 is hands down the best RTS game on the PC today.