Inactive Malicious redirect virus and possible other virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I kinda got to then end of the UPDATED 7-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions Step 1, but more issues came up and I was wondering if I should continue.

What happened was after I downloaded Avast and ran the scan, it restarted, ran full system scan before computer totally started, went to the desktop and then the computer restarted by itself, went to safe mode and then restarted itself again.

Should I still continue?

Welcome to TechSpot! I'll be glad to help you but I need some information.

Do you have the logs from the scans in the steps? If you do, please paste them into your next reply.

Sometimes a power outage can cause the reboot cycle. It requires going into the BIOS to reset and I don't want to send you there.

Question: Did you already have an antivirus program on the system? If you did, you did not need to install Avast. But if you didn't and have been connecting to the internet without an AV program, then you're in trouble.
=======================================
I'd like you to do the following:

Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Once in Safe More: Right click on Start> Explore> My Computer> Double click on Local Drive (C)> Properties. Choose Tools tab> Error Check> Check both boxes on the screen that comes up> Close the message and reboot the computer.

Let this run. Hopefully it will get through without a reboot. But it does reboot when finished- expect this to tak a while. You will see if checking the sections on the blue screen when it starts.

By running the scan before the system was fully up, you cause an improper boot. Hopefully the error checking with fix it.

Let me know how this goes. Also let me know what the problem was that brought you to the preliminary scan originally.
===============================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.
If I have not replied for 2 days, you can send me a PM reminder. Include the URL of your thread. Please do not send me a PM to tell me your logs are up.
If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
=====================================

I started it up in Safe Mode, went to the Error Checking and it prompted me to schedule a check next time a restarted the laptop, so I scheduled it and rebooted. Then an error came up saying that it couldn't scan the laptop because of an error

The original reason for coming here was because of a Google Redirect virus. While trying to go about scanning the laptop with free anti - virus programs I ended up finding that there were more issues than just the redirect virus. And yes, the laptop has been going without anti-virus software for a while now. I am considering telling my aunt and uncle (it's their laptop and they asked me to fix it) to use their back up disks to fix this problem, but if I can get help here instead it would be better.

Instructions were to close the message that came up after you set up the error checking, then reboot. Thereby going right into the Error Checking.
===================================================
If you did these steps, I need the logs:
Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
=====================================
If you didn't do them, please do them now.
======================================
All you need with Avast now is make sure you update it.. I don't need that log. If there was no AV on the system, it's possible it may be too corrupt to fix. I'd like you to run this online virus scan:
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESETOnlineScan
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    [o] Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    [o] Double click on the
    esetSmartInstallDesktopIcon.png
    on your desktop.
  • Check 'Yes I accept terms of use.'
  • Click Start button
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
    esetonlinescannersettings_thumb.jpg
  • Uncheck 'Remove found threats'
  • Check 'Scan archives/
  • Leave remaining settings as is.
  • Press the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please wait for the scan to finish.
  • When the scan completes, press List of found threats
  • Push Export of text file and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Paste this log in your next reply.
  • Push the Back button
  • Push Finish

NOTE: If no malware is found then no log will be produced. Let me know if this is the case.
=======================================
Leave the following logs in your next reply:
1. Malwarebytes
2. GMER
3. DDS> 2 logs (DDS.txt & Attach.txt- second log gets pasted in and not zipped)
4. Eset Online Virus Scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back