Malware certification?

Cybelex

Is there some way that we can get members that wish to become certified in malware removal to pass some sort of test, or complete some training at a "Malware U"?

It seems that there are way too many people trying to help (and some should be commended), but they are sorely in need of help and training. Haphazard removal of things can lead to trouble (Don't we know it?), and the chaos that ensues when too many cooks get involved in an already complex problem could be avoided.

Yes good idea
Has been recently discussed as well

I noticed your post here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post687008-12.html
Is not fantastic (sorry I must be truthful)

So if we eliminate anyone not an expert that may only leave about 3 remaining (which is not enough for the posts coming in)

All members freely help, and generally issues are resolved, eventually

Yes. The post was just to mention an additional tool that is useful for many types of BHO problem. But it was not intended as a "solution" to the poster's problems.

I guess if you think that there are only 3 people for malware, we need to recruit some more. ;-)

Yes, IE reset does a good job. It's just that since many people would not know how to get back those favorite toolbars and many customizations, I like to avoid it until necessary.

I'm looking for a members number somewhere. See it?

Yes, just how many members. Thanks for the heads up about links. I never saw that in other forums, so I'll try to remember.

I'll answer any question I'm able to help you with about TechSpot
If I don't know the answer, I'll ask Admin to help you

Actually, if we're going to go down that certification route, how about we get something real, like a GCFA or GREM??

I think certifications are a bit extreme anyway.

The thing is, Security forum has very few people that put in the effort to help just about everyone. The problems there, at least in my opinion, are ones that a lot of members don't want to try and tackle. There may even be (at least I feel this way a bit) some feeling that the people that got themselves into these situations failed to take any methods to lessen or prevent their chances of getting "infected" and because of that we are less enticed to help. This is probably the wrong way to approach things I admit, but I'm pretty sure that is why you see people that help other difficult issues not trying to help at all in Security.

The problems arise when people, good natured people, trying to help and they take a stab at a problem someone is having in Security. This throws a kink into the way the people that do help in there do things. There may be 15 steps that someone like Kimsland asks you to go through when maybe only 3 were necessary, but the difficulty is knowing which 3 to do, and maybe those 3 are different for every situation.

So while I'm generally opposed to any formulaic approach, or checklist style attack of an issue I think it works in that forum.

But as far as certification requirements for people, I'm completely against that. Maybe we need a sticky in Security (lol, like stickies ever get read) explaining that perhaps that energy and desire is better directed solving problems in other forums.

I guess I didn't really come up with anything solid on why certifications are bad other than I just have a feeling its no good, it creates another class of users on TS that I don't think needs to be created.

Back