Malware or virus on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
****WARNING: Since I am unable to give as much info as you would like, I have included the file that started this as an attachment. If you change the file extention from .zip to .exe then SCAN it, it may tell you something you need to help me. If you hose your computer because of it, then there will be 2 of us that need help....and I will feel bad.

****Note: The bottom of the message is a bit disjointed. I had to delete the links to stuff I found that may have helped. I have inserted a .doc file "Help part 2.doc" that has the links in it. I'm sorry about this problem, board rules about 5 posts or less = no links....

Under WinXP Home, sp3....latest patches that I know of.

I tried to watch a video on the net a bit ago. It said that I needed to download "flashcodec.exe" and listed several of the major browsers that it supported.
I downloaded it and scanned it with AVG and then scanned it with Spybot Search & Destroy. There was nothing about it, so I ran it and it didn't work. I closed Mozilla and reran it and opened Mozilla back up and the video still wouldn't play. I C&P'ed the link to Opera and tried it there. The video didn't work and Opera gave me the option of downloading or running the "flashcodec.exe" from the site. I did, but it didn't do anything. I opened up the details under the install box, there was two separate places where it deleted "uninstall.exe".

All programs will not run under normal user, unknown file type, even the *.exe files. Can't get into the help files to do a restore point, don't remember how otherwise.
I rebooted under safe mode with networking and Opera surprisingly will work, (how I'm here), IE7's icon is correct, no other icons are and those that I have tried it tells me it can't access them because of unknown file type.

Can anybody help me fix this mess?? First time in years I've been successfully hit by anything except for a trojan around the year 2000 or 2001 when I was still on dialup....

Update: Nothing has changed, have found out that I can't run the programs in your 8 step rules....probably can not run any program downloaded.

Programs that work:
Opera, WordPad, OutLook Express....no others that I have found, and they only work under admin account in 'safe mode with networking' that I know of, Opera won't work on a normal boot.

I have read about the "iamfamous.dll" on google and it doens't seem to be the one.

I found this, but I'm not getting a BSOD, so don't know if it's the same or not.

Most of those latter ones don't sound like what I had. They could run programs, just not connect to the 'net. I can't run but the 3 programs ;listed above, everything else seems to be unable to run or open, even *.txt files won't open, though I can seem to open *.doc files....

thank you for your time;
bdraft

All programs will not run under normal user, unknown file type, even the *.exe files.

Download programs from 8 steps, save the whole page as a word document (you said you can run word), log in as administrator, in safe mode, no networking, turn off your modem/router, disconnect network cable and then try running the programs but before you try to run it, try renaming them first. And if you're using vista/7, run it as administrator. Also try with compatibility mode. It's the most important to get the programs running.

If it fails, try installing another copy of windows on the same disk, and scan your whole disk from that copy.

Also, from your post, I've concluded that you've attached a baddie. Please don't do it, because some unsuspecting user could download and run that and screw his PC over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back