TechSpot

Malware Virus, Need Help Please

By Wesablo
Mar 27, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey, im not so great with viruses and malware programs and all that, but I believe I recently got a very annoying virus. I just got a copy of Microsoft Office from my college and installed it, and the problems seem to have started after this installation. I wouldnt think this caused the virus, but I know that it started after the install. I feel like it actually may have been from a link i clicked or I don't even know, but here is what I've done so far, and the symptoms I've noticed...

- I downloaded a free copy of Symantec Endpoint Protection (Norton) because my old Norton's subscription ran out, I ran it, and got about 25 corrupted files...
    - Ran my Ad-Aware and Spybot programs, "fixed" the corrupted files i got there..

And here's what symptoms I've been experiencing still....

- Upon startup, an Error comes up titled RUNDLL, and saying "Error loading c:\WINDOWS\system32\mupitera.dll ....The Specified module could not be found."
    - Constant Internet Explorer and Mozilla popups that seem advertise various Malware software and sometimes other random things like gambling
    - Also my Spybot Registry protector constantly asks me to allow/deny changes concerning the file RUNDLL.exe. I keep denying, but it ALWAYS asks again
    - Another weird mozilla popup I keep getting is an "Oops! This link appears broken - 82.92.etc.etc(looks like an IP)" and the picture in the browser shows a Google TOOLBAR search engine.

If anyone could PLEASE help me out I would appreciate it greatly, any info would be nice though like I said I don't know much about this stuff. I don't have hijackthis but could get a reading if that could be easier. I tried my best to be concise so sorry if the post is a lil long, and thanks very much!@

~Wes

2. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 563

hey wesablo

Please follow the 8-step virus removal tool from here .... http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html ... and uninstall your version of Norton and don't ever even think about installing anything Norton again :)

Spyder_1386 :)

3. Wesablo

Wesablo TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 87

hah tru this is not the first time ive heard some norton bashing, so I'll consider it and try out what u suggest - ill let u kno what happens, thank you very much for the feedback

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.