Malwarebytes gives pirates a free pass as company migrates to new licensing system

Gabe Carey

malwarebytes piracy anti-malware anti-virus anti-competitive anti-malware premium

Ahoy, mateys! Malwarebytes, best known for its Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) software, announced on Sunday that anyone sporting counterfeit codes for MBAM will soon receive legitimate keys in their place. As part of its Amnesty program, Malwarebytes aims to protect its Anti-Malware Premium customers “who have been inconvenienced by piracy or abuse."

The process of receiving a replacement code will require users to open up the program and select one of two options regarding the origin of the fabricated key. Users who select "I'm not sure where I got my key, I downloaded it from the Internet" will be supplied with an authentic 12-month subscription to MBAM Premium while those who choose "I purchased my key" will be appointed a replacement key to the same software tier that the original code granted.

Previously deemed illegitimate keys will fail to work "after a period of time", so users of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium should claim their new codes as soon as possible. Keep in mind that this program extends to lawful customers of Malwarebytes products, so even if you genuinely subscribed to the software, you'll still be required to reset your key in order to make use of it.

As a result of the potential backlash this might cause from paying customers of its products, Malwarebytes issued a statement of explanation to keep end-users on its good side:

"...We’ve grown up, and we’ve got a new licensing system that we’ve rolled out in stages. The only problem is that we have millions of users that we’ve sold keys to, or a reseller has sold keys to, or we’ve given out keys to without keeping track. It is a mess, and you as a consumer have every right to be upset," writes CEO Marcin Kleczynsk. "...I know this doesn’t excuse those who feel cheated because they bought the software. I am happy to work with you on some free shirts, or a free copy of anti-exploit as you continue to support us through this process."

Essentially, Malwarebytes is rebooting is licensing system since their current system fails to distinguish paying customers from pirates. Doing so requires everyone who uses MBAM to reset even paid licenses. And, although this requires some extra work on behalf of the consumer, Malwarebytes seems fairly confident that the end result will be a tighter security system.

Enjoy the free software while it lasts, pirates.

Permalink to story.

So if you have a lifetime license... what distinguishes it from any other type of license if they are resetting?

Can I claim my license was lifetime if I'm a pirate? And if not... can someone who actually BOUGHT a lifetime license claim theirs?

So if you have a lifetime license... what distinguishes it from any other type of license if they are resetting?

Can I claim my license was lifetime if I'm a pirate? And if not... can someone who actually BOUGHT a lifetime license claim theirs?
I'm sure they know the differences, and I'm also certain they are not gonna share what those differences are. Anyone wanting to forge/pirate their own license will have to do so on their own.

Can someone please post one of those pirate codes so I can be a pirate and get a free pirate version of anti-malware?

Irony?

So, instead of rewarding existing genuine user, they decided to add new piratey user by giving them free license. This is why people take shortcuts. Once you buy a product or service from a company, they dont give a rats *** about their user base. Always want new customers to boost their ranks.

So, instead of rewarding existing genuine user, they decided to add new piratey user by giving them free license. This is why people take shortcuts. Once you buy a product or service from a company, they dont give a rats *** about their user base. Always want new customers to boost their ranks.

free for 12 months... and they are trying to give them a incentive to pay, genuine users like me either get a free product from them or something else, I have a lifetime license so I hope it stays lifetime...

I will probably try getting another piece of software not the anti-rootkit but no idea I will have to see what they have xD either that or a voucher for amazon >:D

I have a "friend" who just clicked on the I paid for this option and it set it as a lifetime license.

[QUOTE="I have a "friend" who just clicked on the I paid for this option and it set it as a lifetime license.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of what I thought... oh well.... price you pay for trusting people I suppose...

Luckily I bought mine years ago when it was LIFETIME license.

Lifetime? lucky U!...
I love MBAM, best in its class by a long shot. Use it in conjuntion with an Anti-virus suite & together it's as good as u can make it, protection wise. Even the professional IT'ers do it that way & they cant be wrong.

Back