Malwarebytes went bad again

D

DavidBailey

I lost my ethernet connection.
I tried all I knew to restore it.
No luck.
Then I remembered Malwarebytes had a problem a few days ago which was supposed to be fixed.
I uninstalled it & I got my connection back.
No more Malwarebytes for me.

2 major screw-ups in such a short period of time is not good.
I can't afford to lose my internet connection.
That's why I reverted to 8.1 from W10.
Besides, Avast gives me messages saying it has conflicts with Malwarebytes now.
Avast Premier is broke too.
It won't update.
I get updates from the link here on TechSpot.
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/2108-avast-virus-definitions-update.html
I had MBAM long enough to clean out bad things.
Maybe in the future I will try the free version.

MBAM has been my friend every sense they blocked the Chinese from hacking into my PC several times, and I'm going to give MBAM a break this time; even though I spent a full morning trying to figure out why my PC was all screwed up. Everyone deserves a second chance. I got a second chance here on the forum and hopefully I won't screw up again.

Hi @DavidBailey I run Windows Defender and MBAM in real time. Yes MBAM screwed up but they have admitted it. Time to move on. Hopefully they learned some thing and will do better job in the future. LOL
PS You are doing a great job here on the forum my friend. There are just a few of us that answer questions here on the forum and you are doing a great job my friend. Great screen shots.

even though I spent a full morning trying to figure out why my PC was all screwed up
It took me a couple of hours to figure it out.
The more I use a computer the easier things get.
I think I'll contact their Support & see what is going on.*nerd*

Team work is a good thing my friend. My advice to all members tonight here on this forum. "Leave your EGO,s at the door stop and be a team member. You can always learn new things; if you have your ears on,and you really want to learn new things. I will stop my preaching now. See you all on the forum. Create a image back up of your OS regularly with a 3rd party program,and you will be fearless like me.

I just submitted a ticket to their Support asking various questions.
Maybe they will get back to me since I am a paying customer ?:confused:

I just submitted a ticket to their Support asking various questions.
Maybe they will get back to me since I am a paying customer ?:confused:
Hi @DavidBailey It will be interesting in what MBAM has to say about your ticket. Looking forward to your reply. I have had the pro version for a long time and have had the life time license for as long as I can remember. MBAM has been my friend for a long time. I would never go on the internet without my MBAM LOL.

Hi I'm going to log off of the forum now and see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully it will be only a good things. You never know how you will be understood, or how your replies will be accepted by the staff. Help forums are weird, but they are my life. That's what I do and what I enjoy.

Hey David, all you have to do most likely is download and install the newest version of Mbam and that should fix all the issues.
This whole thing has been a nightmare for them but hopefully they will learn from it and the future will be better. I was amazed at all the damage this breach did to so many pcs myself as I had over 40 phone calls over the weekend and I have been critical of Mbam myself for quite a while as for me too many false positives on site detection have been quite annoying for the last 6 months and I am noticing scans lately on infected machines don't find as much as they used to so I really hope we are not looking a the demise of a once great product.

download and install the newest version of Mbam
Did that.
Didn't help.
Am waiting for a reply from the company. :)

Got a reply from Avast.
Followed their instructions.
It didn't help.
At least I can keep the virus definitions updated from here.

I would never suggest you run Avast BTW and if Mbam had a conflict with it I would uninstall Avast, not Mbam because today's Antivirus programs cannot identify and deal with today's Malware issues, we haven't seen a virus in over 10 years and these programs are rapidly becoming dinosaurs I'm afraid.
I just had a another pc today that had the Malware issue over the weekend and this time I had to uninstall and reinstall all browsers
and reset IE totally as well to get to any internet sites. It seems that every pc I am coming on has a different issue caused by the Mbam updates.

MWB is a great removal tool. There are other tools for realtime protection. Just remember, run only ONE REALTIME TOOL less you really create a mess with two or more active at the same time.

MBAM has been my friend every sense they blocked the Chinese from hacking into my PC several times

Sorry but your excuse of this happening falls back on open ports and other security spots on the os.
Try blaming the firewall first if you don't have it up and configured properly.
As cheap as windows firewall has been for a good amount of years.
Its done just enough to prevent any coo-coo clucks on the global internet from going inside my pc and badly infecting it.

Sorry but your excuse of this happening falls back on open ports and other security spots on the os.
Try blaming the firewall first if you don't have it up and configured properly.
As cheap as windows firewall has been for a good amount of years.
Its done just enough to prevent any coo-coo clucks on the global internet from going inside my pc and badly infecting it.
Hi I have no idea what your saying.I have no open ports. I have a NETGEAR combination router. I not blaming anyone. MBAM has blocked many malicious IP addresses. Many were from China. I run Windows defender and MBAM in real time. They have protected me for a long time.

Last edited:
All pcs have between 2000 and 3000 open ports that face the Internet and the manufacturer's job was to close them while Windows keeps them shut. Basically a firewall is a firewall and unless you want to be driven crazy everytime you turn your computer on with inane 3rd party firewall requests, the Windows firewall is quite adequate and IMHO all you need.
Jobeard absolutely no techs in the know ever suggest only one AntiMalware app running in the background it is two Antivirus apps you don't want running but actually with malware the more the merrier. It makes far more sense to keep issues out of your pc rather than letting everything ion and "ripping" them out later and there is no AntiMalware product by itself that is ever effective on everything.

Time to go into Update and Recovery in PC Settings and do a reset of Windows as this stuff
is beyond the norm.
Before doing that see if a "Winsock Reset" will fix this issue and give you back the Internet:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&q=How+do+I+reset+the+Winsock+on+Windows+10?&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjl3ezKy4XZAhWDNd8KHaheAg8QzmcISg&biw=1524&bih=686

I'll drink some coffee & smoke some ciggs before doing anything.
Found 2 cmds---

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

netsh winsock reset c:\resetlog.txt

Found something from Microsoft---
screenshot_25.jpg

I'll post results later.
I have a Macrium system image to fall back on. :)
And MBAM worked well with Avast until a couple of days ago.
I know better than to run 2 anti-viruses together.
It could be Avast is trying to cut out the competition.....or not.

Results---
No luck.
I could do a clean install & start over but that is too tedious to even think about right now. :(
I guess I'll wait & see if MBAM or Avast contacts me with advice.

Results---
No luck.
I could do a clean install & start over but that is too tedious to even think about right now. :(
I guess I'll wait & see if MBAM or Avast contacts me with advice.
Hi @DavidBailey What are you saying? Are you saying that your Macrium image did not solve the problem? So your are saying that Avast and Malwarebytes have a conflict and will not run in real time and if you uninstall Avast, you lose your internet connection Do you have malwarebytes pro? I see no big problem. Do a clean install and then use your Macrium image to restore back like the day you created the image. What am I missing here?
Sorry if I don't understand. I had a problem with malwarebytes but after updating MBAM, all is good.

What are you saying?

I don't have a Macrium image saved to before I installed Avast.
Both MBAM & Avast will run in real time.
I had MBAM Pro.
But I cannot update the Avast virus definitions from the link here on TechSpot.
screenshot_24.jpg

Avast will not update from itself either.
screenshot_24.jpg

I don't feel like doing anything else until I hear from Avast & MBAM Support.

Back