Managing files on CD-RWs

By Barry Davies
May 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had thought that I could copy onto CD-RWs, delete files and generally manage them in the same way as with a diskette. However, having copied a file onto my CD-RW I find that I am unable to delete it. I get a message saying that, because it is a 'read-only' file, I cannot delete it but that I will be able to write over existing files when I reach capacity.

Having reached capacity on a particular CD-RW I am told that there is no further space and that I should delete files to make room for new ones - which, of course, I cannot do.

I have tried to ensure that copied files are not 'read only', but without success.

What do I need to do to use my CD-RWs as I would a conventional diskette?

Regards,

Barry Hylton Davies
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

You need to install some packet writing software like InCD from Nero or Drag-to-Disc from Roxio (both are bundled with their CD/DVD writing suites).

A packet writer allows you to format and use CD-RWs just like floppies. Roxio supported CD-Rs too I think..
  3. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

you wont be able to do such with windows burning software, although a third party app like nero will do such for you (drag drop, delete, sync etc..)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.