Manual add-on script

UnknownSky

Hello all,

I am currently attempting to create a simple batch file that manually places and loads the add-ons for Internet Explorer 8 & 9.

The main reasoning for this consists of a slight hatred for a system we use here at the company. There are NUMEROUS Add-On installations we must click on to get everything up and running smoothly and whenever the system does not work, we have to go to a few sites and expect the add-on popups to show. I want to make it just two or three clicks.

Right now I am distributing the needed dll, inf and ocx files via xcopy.
Now all I need to know is how to register them and have them show up in IE 8 & 9 successfully.
I was playing with regsvr32 command a bit and will try things throughout the next couple days.

I also know this may not be in the correct side of the forum although I didn't spot a scripting/coding section.

Help much appreciated!

hmm; IMO, add-ons are a convenience, not a functional necessity, ESPECIALLY in an infrastructure environment.
With so much at stake, and as these suckers bleed browser bandwidth, why would you depend upon any add-ons???

I do not rely on Add-Ons. The system that is being utilized for company needs does. It is not within our power to control whether or not they are used. Third party deal, etc. I want to make the installation/addition of these add-ons simple instead of making over one hundred clicks.

I understand your motivation - - I would look for an install solution too. Sometimes however, we do our clients
no favor by solving 'dumb' problems which will only be a moving target. You will be stuck providing these solutions for every browser change - - good luck.

The third party system rarely does updates which is a great thing. In my spare time I am willing to make the small commitment to making IT life a bit easier in the long run. Any time shaven off is precious since the company is in the middle of a HIPAA compliance run through. Tons of projects!
My main goals here are to save the IT staff time. Simple as that.
But I thank you for the luck and hopefully someone will reply with a possible solution.

With all due respect to:
My main goals here are to save the IT staff time. Simple as that.

The IT is getting paid to do his job. If the addons are a company policy, seems to me the IT should be the one to make any changes.

If you are the owner, Manager, CEO or CFO of the company, then maybe you can suggest changes at the addon level to the IT. Time is money in any company- if implementing something the company uses cost time, then it cost money. There should be some oversite within to address this.

Back